London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 15°C
1 to 20 of 24 messages
nin
22/06/2013 at 09:55

I have just started growing veg after a 15 year break but unlike last time when I only grew tomatoes , caugettes potatoes and a few runner beans and had my Dad to call on for his fountain of knowledge this time I am growing a huge variety and I am now feeling lost without Dad around.

I am now feeling totally lost .

I am feeding the caugettes and the tomatoes and Aubergines tomarite.

But what do i feed the leeks and onions and potatos that am growing for a first time in sacks.

I also have cabbages and pumpkins and celery and celariac and sprouts and brocolie and cauliflower and cucumbers and carrots and beetroot and peppers and sweetcorn and a few other bits and bobs .

Yes have probally jumped in at the deepend and should of taken it slower , but I have lost several relatives recently and I just feel closer to them in the veg patch.

What do I feed this lot and more importantly what should i avoid feeding .

22/06/2013 at 10:55
Monty said it all on G/W nettle juice or Comfry all really good and free try the dry way of making it, as it dont smell so strong lots of advise on this feed on the net all free and this year our results are great with it, used early good roots used later good leaf / top growth .
Alan
22/06/2013 at 11:14

Whats the dry way of making it Alan?

nin
22/06/2013 at 12:22

Hi Allan and thanks , I saw that episode , but what can I feed now, I think i would rather buy a liquid feed for simplicity.

I have seen on marshalls seperate brassica feed, onion feed ,pelleted manure , potato feed and so on do I need to buy a different feed for every plant or is there a make of feed that will do most veg and what are the exceptions.

Then they also have enhanced seaweed food, sulphate of potash, super phosphate , epsom salts. which do i need and which plants do i give this to.

My dad used to give me a bottle of tomorite and a bag of sprikle stuff stick tomorite on fruiting and other stuff else where  easy but when i look on line its so complicated. It seems to be this likes acidity that alkalinity high nightrates low this high the other and my brain is exploding.

What can I buy to feed onions, brassicas , and spuds do i need different things or is there one thing that would suit all.

I will try the comfry and nettle stew but thats for next year.

22/06/2013 at 12:39

Must say, the STINK from comfrey is baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.  No matter,how good it may be you have to live with this stuff all the time.  Just not worth it.  Why bother to grow scented plants when this stuff overwhelms it all.

I use fish blood and bone on everything and then seaweed spray as a tonic and foliar feed.  Incidentally, seaweed is great on maritime crops such as Beetroot.  

Monty may use comfrey etc but I bet his supply is well away from the house

nin
23/06/2013 at 19:01

Verdun thanks for that

Can I use fish blood and bone on all my veg ?

23/06/2013 at 19:42
Dry way ,place one container with drain holes drilled into it into another with no holes in it this one is to collect the tea,,2 gallon buckets are just the job,(??1each at BnQ cut up your nettles or comfry fill up the holed container place a brick or anything a little heavy on top, pour a pint or so of water in to start it, cover it or place somewhere out of the rain the green rots down quite quickly and the juice runs into the bottom container,this is now an ongoing free food factory just keep filling it up and as Monty and all the gardeners i know agree is as good as seaweed, don't forget to water the juice down to about ten to one and it stores very well in old plastic milk bottles,does smell a bit
great food Alan4711
23/06/2013 at 19:50

Cheers Alan, I just made a batch the wet method today, next time i might try your way.

24/06/2013 at 03:28

I know I had the best of marrows one year by digging a trench and filling it with nettle tops and then putting the clay back on top over them. I then later planted the marrow plants on top. I did the same with grass cutting and old pine needles on and around the pumpkins and they seemed to have done well but I am sure it was luck that I didn't burn the roots of these plants from what I used as in fresh cuttings? But it is a lot of work for what it is worth.

Old Manure can be the best of all I believe and seaweed is suppose to be best burried as they say the iodine in seaweed as it rots goes off into the air if left uncovered, I don't know if that is true or not but some say it is? I know wood ash is great for trees, so I think it would be good for everything else also?

But I am a person who uses a little magnesium sulphate and potassium sulphate in my garden when watering but at the same time my soil is full of lime and I haven't a clue about its ph but it seems to help. But I do more experimenting in my garden than I should but it keeps me busy...

24/06/2013 at 06:13

Bumping 

nin
24/06/2013 at 12:10

Magnesium , potassium i read these words all the time this plant needs magnesium that needs potassium but no one ever says this food is good for x veg as it has magnesium or potassium. I think this is where my confusion started and my brain went blank whilst my eyes glazed over.

24/06/2013 at 12:28

Assuming all your plants are already in the soil and not  in pots, I would use a soluble  all purpose fertiliser like phostrogen or miracle gro , diluted in  water and used to water your plants with ( follow instructions on pack). During  next winter, get as much compost, or well rotted farm yard manure in to your soil as possible.

Before you plant next year,add 100g per square metre  of blood fish and bone fertiliser or  growmore fertiliser spinkled on your soil and then fork in the top 10 cm or so.

Your plants next year shouldn't then need additional fertiliser during the growing season.

24/06/2013 at 12:37
Michael wood ash is not good for all IE: Hydrangeas,rhododendrons, shrubs etc hate it PH no good , Nettle and comfry contain Nitrogen and phosphates and minerals from deep in the soil most, purchased root simulators contain 3% nitrogen,20% phosphorous, 20% potassium, if you use one with more nitrogen then your looking for more green top growth stuff such as fruits etc, i find if used early tea gives good roots, then later use gives good top growth. depends how you use it
Alan
24/06/2013 at 12:39

Hiya nin, yes fish blood and bone is perfect for all your veg

I,think fidgetbones is correct.......he seems to be saying "feed the soil" first and this is my thinking too.  Don't like Gromore fertilisers ...I,think they can be too strong and being artificial not to my liking.  Plenty,of compost, muck etc dug into your ground is the best way.  Plants in pots, however, will need weefeed liquid feeds summer long

24/06/2013 at 12:46

Fidgetbones is a she.

I always feed the soil, not feed the plant. I try to use all organic stuff if possible, but I won't claim totally organic because I will still use phostrogen as a quick tonic if the plant is in dire need.

I also use those osmocote pellet things in pots so that I don't have to remember to keep  feeding through the summer.

25/06/2013 at 02:07

Hi, I only use wood ash with apple, plum and fruiting trees and also with vegetables as wood ash can be high in calcium as well. Wood ash is high in potassium and so good for all fruit as well as for potatoes. I haven't tested my soil to see what it is lacking but I put my faith in wood ash as it would have many micro nutrients in it, I also used it to water plants with as in pumpkins with no sign of harm from its use lol.

I have used the magnesium sulphate as in pure epsom salts for my onions, tomatoes, trees and veg. It seems to add a better colour of green to them but the soil with me has been waterlogged a few times, so that says what it s like. So I hope my messing keeps the balance right in the soil as part of it doesn't seem the best. I have dug in fallen pine needles to add organic matter to the soil and it seemed to work ok for my pumpkins and in the same ground this year for my potatoes as they look healthy and fit so far. I know I shouldn't put one greedy plant for potassium after another in the same ground but I do like to experiment. I plan to get some seaweed to add to the ground to improve it in the near future as seaweed has more nutrients in it than what most soils have but it can be hard to gather but they do say that after a rough tide or storm is the best time to gather it as in May, June and then it can be gathered in August also? But it all depends what area you get it from and where?

With tea as a way to feed plants, my view is that green tea is a whole lot better to feed plants with than brown. I use to have a small container that I use to empty the tea pot into and used that to water a few plants with. I do think the green tea works wonders compared to the brown but that is my belief?

25/06/2013 at 02:25

Hi Alan, I know phosphorous is good for all root vegetables but putting too much of it on the soil can kill off the beneficial fungi in the soil itself. So a little of everything seems to help except when it comes to lime as some plants can be fussy over their ph of the soil. I have heard stories about how lime dust in the air has killed off certain plants like rhododendrons from lime being spread on farmland next to it and lime is rich in calcium as well as aluminium also and wood ash also has a high level of calcium in it as well.

25/06/2013 at 08:44

Morning michael

Interesting comments.  Agree that seaweed is excellent for the soil.  Used to gather tons of it from the local beaches 

25/06/2013 at 11:36

I think If I didnt live 300 miles away I'd be gathering tons of it too.  Free seaweed. I'm sure this is why Jersey royals used to taste so good. they used to use seaweed on the fields, but I believe that most of them now use the inorganic fertiliser instead.

Instead I'm sticking to the free comfrey from the field next to the trent flood plain.

27/06/2013 at 00:05

Hi All. As they say the best things in life are free, lol. With seaweed it has a whole range of micronutrients and that is why I am drawn to it. I do not know if seaweed adds nitrogen to the soil as it rots or takes it away but seaweed I believe have growth hormones in it as well as the fact that bacteria in the soil loves it. I do not know what type of compost it would make if thrown in the compost heap, it might be great but I would wash it first due to the salt on it? I also do not know which type of seaweed is the best or if they are all the same when used. I do think too much iodine can kills plants but I am not too sure about how much is too much and the same goes for seaweed I believe?

Hi Verdun, Did you bury the seaweed or leave it on the surface. I know those who grew potatoes use to use loads of it each year a long time ago in their fields but I just haven't a clue how they used it for their crop? Now the seaweed is for sale as organic tomatoe feed. It does make me wonder if beds for tomatoes were done the same way as in the olden days where farmers used seaweed for potatoes. Would they need any feeding at all then?  It does make you think?

1 to 20 of 24 messages