London (change)
Today 15°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 12°C
1 to 20 of 40 messages
14/05/2014 at 20:04

This year I am growing in bed

1. Sweet corn 2 types, Calalloo, Broad Beans 2 types, Radishes, Leeks.

2 Celeriac (have been warned this may not produce much), Calabrese, Elephant Garlic, Soft Neck Garlic, Red Baron Onions, Rocket.

3 Snowball Turnips, Spring Onions, Cos, Little Gem, Lettuce Mazur, Peas, Spinach 2 types, Runner Beans, Dwarf French Beans, Fennel.

4 Rainbow Chard, Brussels Sprouts, more Leeks, Purple Sprouting Broccoli.

In troughs, Courgettes, in pots Carrots 2 types, Hamburg Parsley, Potatoes 3 types, Marmande Tomatoes.

In greenhouse Aubergines, San Marzano Tomatoes, Peppers, Cucumbers.

Watercress is in pots in 3" of water. Globe Artichoke just about to be planted.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/45806.jpg?width=480&height=350&mode=max

14/05/2014 at 20:31

Hells Bells...........you are making me feel lazy and I've been working like a Trojan..............I'll just go and chat to my Chickens I think

Chickens by the way have been given raw Beetroot offered  by a fellow Allotment holder........I am embarrassed to say I had to cook it for them before they would look at it .  My Chickens are such pampered creatures.............they have a 1/4 of my garden (and want more ).......great eggs tho and they lay when every other chicken in the village goes "Eeeech........it's winter"

Sorry..........this was a plant thread I think

14/05/2014 at 20:33

Nice list Artjak,

I am lucky enough ( though my back may disagree!) to have a double plot allotment.

My list this year is Cauliflower, Red Cabbage, Summer Cabbage, Savoys, Brussels, Purple Sprouting,Calabrese, Chinese Cabbage and Lettuce.

Carrots, Parsnips, Swedes, Kohl Rabi, Celeriac,Beetroot, Radish, Onions and Leeks.

Sweetcorn, Runner Beans, French Beans(Dwarf and Climbing), Broad Beans and Mangetout Peas.

Tomatoes(GH and outdoor), Courgettes, Butternut and Blue Hubbard Squash, Cucumbers(GH and outdoor) Peppers, Chillies and Aubergines.

Should have a full freezer and keep the family supplied with a bit of luck

14/05/2014 at 20:49

scroggin, how do you manage with Celeriac? My neighbour said that their's only grew to the size of a golf ball

philippa, you are sooo lucky to have space for chickens. Some mornings, the mutt and I walk past a garden with a lovely chicken run under some old apple trees; they get up surprisingly late! When they are out they are such fun to watch.

14/05/2014 at 20:58

I grew celeriac for the first time last year, about 90% made tennis ball size heads or bigger. They make a lot of leaf before much happens at the root ball, it looks like they wont make anything then they swell from late summer onwards till the first frosts.

I did water mine a lot and its important that they're not planted too early as if they are checked for an extended period they shut down and just go to seed.

Also make sure the crown of the plant is proud/level with the ground to get good rootball formation.

They are a lovely veg and so versatile that they are worth the effort.

14/05/2014 at 21:00

Thank you for that scroggin

14/05/2014 at 22:41

Gosh, that's loads Artjak 

I'm growing the following;

Veg patch 1: Carrots, parsnips and Beetroot (I can't remember the varieties and it's too dark to look!) already sown and I have babies 

Veg patch 2 : Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, Purple Sprouts (given to me by a neighbour) - all in GH and will be planted out in next week or so.

Veg patch 3 : Aubergine (Black Beauty), Cucumber, Courgette (outdoor variety from my neighbour), Squash (Crown Prince?)

Veg patch 4 : Fruit patch - rhubarb, black currant, red currant, raspberries

In between dividers on veg patch - radishes

(note, I don't have 4 veg patches it's just one that I divide into 4 and then rotate the 3 that aren't fruit!)

GH : cucumber, more courgettes, tomatoes and some more aubergines in case the outdoor ones don't work, also some chillies in case the outdoor ones don't work

Other outdoor veg awaiting homes!  Tumbling Tom Red, Tumbling Tom Yellow, dwarf green beans.

2 varieties of early potatoes in tubs, strawberries in a hanging basket, rocket, spinach and lettuce all in long tubs..........I think that's all!!

Far too much for a newbie 

Oh, I forgot the chillies - Cherry Bomb, Apache, Purple Riot and one my neighbour gave me if an unknown variety that she calls Kevin after the person that gave her the seeds originally many years ago 

Phew........

14/05/2014 at 23:46

First year on the allotment so rotation has gone out of the window, I'm planting up as an area becomes clear, so here goes -

Spuds - 1st and 2nd earlies. Main crop if I don't run out of room and can dig the bottom of the plot this weekend. 

Onions, shallots, garlic, swede, mooli, parsnips, red/black currants, gooseberry, garden peas, mangtout, red cabbage, purple sprouting, radish, strawberries, raspberries - these are already planted out. Mooli and parsnips just sown and another batch of radish.  

Waiting to be planted out - courgettes, squash, beetroot, brussels, leeks, celeriac(Monach, it's a non nobbly variety).

Sown swish chad, bulb fennel, sweetcorn(mini pop), runner and french beans(a variety of colours, some dwarf) Nothing up yet though

GH - toms, cues, chillies, aubergines, basil.

Hoping to grow salad stuff and strawberries at home, along with the usual currants/gooseberries. Aspargus will have to wait till next year...the bed is already half full with flowers.

Probably missed some...        

15/05/2014 at 08:40

This is my first proper year, and everyone warned me not to take on too much! I didn't listen!

I have in field - early pots and main crop, red and white onions, leeks, sweetcorn and going to put runner beans and Brussels down there and maybe the celeriac if we have space.

in garden space we have raspberries, gooseberries, strawberries, apples, plums and black and red currants (although these were already there so cant claim I did much there!

Have beetroot, fennel, carrots, parsnips,radishes, chard, lettuce, spinach, squash, courgette, broccoli, French beans, peas , mange tout, borlotti beans, artichoke

And in greenhouse, salad, toms, aubergine, peppers, cucumbers and a funny thing called a pigeon pea which is originally from Tabago so don't hold out much hope!

Ive also tried lots of herbs and have pots and pots of various flowers, although these keep getting eaten by the tame lamb that we thought was a good idea at the time! Turns out she'll happily eat everything EXCEPT grass!

Have to say I'm sure its all out in the wrong order/wrong place etc but its my first year so I'll learn for next hopefully!

15/05/2014 at 08:52

I feel lazy too!!  Or picky.  There are a lot of things we don't like very much, so I don't grow them.  This year we are mostly growing....

Tomatoes (Moneymaker), cucumber, chillies, bell peppers, celery, salad leaves, basil, watercress, sweetcorn, coriander, parsley, rocket, fine beans, runner beans, peas, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, onions, garlic, strawberries, loganberries or tayberries - I forget which, blackcurrants, carrots, parsnips, radishes, pears, apples and potatoes.  And weeds.  Lots of them!! 

15/05/2014 at 08:57

Harriet, I'm sure, lamb permitting, that it will all do well.

Orchid L, how do the Aubergine do out of doors; is it a special variety?

I am very impressed with the amount of veg everyone is growing. We are all going to be immensely healthy

15/05/2014 at 09:08

Artjak, no they aren't a special variety, I just bought the seeds thinking I could grow them outdoors and found out since that this is only the case if the weather is warm enough!  So I'm hoping for a summer like last year, that is why I am also putting some in the GH but don't have enough room for them all to go in the GH (I currently have 9 plants and I've given quite a few away!!)

To be honest I'm not holding out much hope for the aubergines 

15/05/2014 at 09:37

This year we're growing runner beans Wisley Magic and Buerre de Roquencourt french beans, assorted tomatoes, courgettes, chillies, Swiss Chard, beetroot, garlic  lettuce, autumn raspberries, gooseberries, figs, rhubarb and lots of herbs which we use almost as vegetables ......... and probably some other bits and pieces if I can fit them in. 

15/05/2014 at 09:43

I forgot about my blueberry bush and also basil and coriander from seed along with my herbs that were already planted. 

A lot of this years seeds I had acquired 'free' so was using them up.  For next year I am going to do more research into different varieties, but if I am successful with my tomatoes this year I know I definitely want to grow Tigerellas next year 

15/05/2014 at 10:50

OL, how many courgettes are you growing in the GH, my plants normally grow to at least 2ft high and 3-4ft spread, you might need a machete to get in the GH by mid summer

15/05/2014 at 10:58

I know Scroggin, it's going to be fun, I'm thinking maybe I should have got a bigger GH but daren't tell OH now  I think I may only put one or two in the GH.  My post above should have said outdoor variety next to the cucumber not courgette as I think courgettes are outdoor anyway??

I really hope I get lots of vegetable off these plants and it's worth it 

15/05/2014 at 11:03

It will be worth it OL, nothing beats being able to pop into the garden and pick your own fruit and veg.

I hope you have lots of recipes for courgettes, my BH makes a great courgette cake and courgette and chilli fritters are a firm favourite with all the family.

15/05/2014 at 11:50

We love courgettes, roasted, in ratatouille, all ways really and I'm going to make some pickle/chutney too  Courgette and chilli fritters sound nice 

15/05/2014 at 13:10

I wish other people here liked courgettes - then I could grow them, but there's no point just for little old me .  I like them fried in butter with a couple of chopped tomatoes and seasoned with black pepper.

nin
15/05/2014 at 13:29

Wow so impressive, I wish I had you all for neighbours, might have someone to chat to over the fence nearly all my neighbours only venture out at night and have gardeners to mow the lawn and trim low maintenance shrubs .

With some luck and if the following wind stays died down I have green & yellow courgettes and pattipan squash. loads of lettuce and leaves in many varietes. A  large bed of leeks as OH loves them. loads of radish including a large purple variety. rainbow, nantes and dragon (purple) carrot. parsnips yellow and red beetroot chard,  spinach  white and purple spring onions. caulis savoy, red  white, and spring cabbage. broad beans runner beans purple beans and peas (peas will do rubbish always do) early and late sprouting broccoli and calabrese and onions,

Got cayenne, mixed hot and jacobs coat chillis some jacobs coat are last years plants but done some new ones as i love them. Purple ox horn peppers and mixed colour bell peppers.

In my bed room i have 12 each banana legs toms  red and yellow tumbling toms, black purple and white cordon cherry toms and about 40 ccurrent toms and a 2 dozen each marmande and san marzano. Will give away some of these and sell some.

In living room have a dozen cucumbers some large green forget variety white and green pickling cues and my favorite crystal lemon cues.and some lizzano bush toms.

Got trays of basil purple, normal greek and lime, as well as parsley flat and curly Corriander dill and a few other herbs, just moved these under cloches in the garden trying to reclaim dining room.

Also got two lots of spuds Charlotte and rocket.

Sweetcorn 24 for 2.50 at local fete.

Think thats it but sure i have forgotten several something's.

After typing this i feel so much better thought i hadnt done much this year.

Last year i had loads of stripes and yellows this year i think the colour must be purple. Not deliberate just get what i fancy and that is often a veg i like in a strange shape or colour.

forgot Aubergines in bedroom will pot these on but they may well stay in bedroom depending on the summer. oh and butternuts at my mums.

1 to 20 of 40 messages