Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

What veg are you growing this year?

artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

This year I am growing in bed

1. Sweet corn 2 types, Calalloo, Broad Beans 2 types, Radishes, Leeks.

2 Celeriac (have been warned this may not produce much), Calabrese, Elephant Garlic, Soft Neck Garlic, Red Baron Onions, Rocket.

3 Snowball Turnips, Spring Onions, Cos, Little Gem, Lettuce Mazur, Peas, Spinach 2 types, Runner Beans, Dwarf French Beans, Fennel.

4 Rainbow Chard, Brussels Sprouts, more Leeks, Purple Sprouting Broccoli.

In troughs, Courgettes, in pots Carrots 2 types, Hamburg Parsley, Potatoes 3 types, Marmande Tomatoes.

In greenhouse Aubergines, San Marzano Tomatoes, Peppers, Cucumbers.

Watercress is in pots in 3" of water. Globe Artichoke just about to be planted.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

scroggin, how do you manage with Celeriac? My neighbour said that their's only grew to the size of a golf ballimage

philippa, you are sooo lucky to have space for chickens. Some mornings, the mutt and I walk past a garden with a lovely chicken run under some old apple trees; they get up surprisingly late! When they are out they are such fun to watch.image

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Thank you for that scrogginimage

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

Gosh, that's loads Artjak image

I'm growing the following;

Veg patch 1: Carrots, parsnips and Beetroot (I can't remember the varieties and it's too dark to look!) already sown and I have babies image

Veg patch 2 : Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, Purple Sprouts (given to me by a neighbour) - all in GH and will be planted out in next week or so.

Veg patch 3 : Aubergine (Black Beauty), Cucumber, Courgette (outdoor variety from my neighbour), Squash (Crown Prince?)

Veg patch 4 : Fruit patch - rhubarb, black currant, red currant, raspberries

In between dividers on veg patch - radishes

(note, I don't have 4 veg patches it's just one that I divide into 4 and then rotate the 3 that aren't fruit!)

GH : cucumber, more courgettes, tomatoes and some more aubergines in case the outdoor ones don't work, also some chillies in case the outdoor ones don't work

Other outdoor veg awaiting homes!  Tumbling Tom Red, Tumbling Tom Yellow, dwarf green beans.

2 varieties of early potatoes in tubs, strawberries in a hanging basket, rocket, spinach and lettuce all in long tubs..........I think that's all!!

Far too much for a newbie image

Oh, I forgot the chillies - Cherry Bomb, Apache, Purple Riot and one my neighbour gave me if an unknown variety that she calls Kevin after the person that gave her the seeds originally many years ago image

Phew........

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

First year on the allotment so rotation has gone out of the window, I'm planting up as an area becomes clear, so here goes -

Spuds - 1st and 2nd earlies. Main crop if I don't run out of room and can dig the bottom of the plot this weekend. 

Onions, shallots, garlic, swede, mooli, parsnips, red/black currants, gooseberry, garden peas, mangtout, red cabbage, purple sprouting, radish, strawberries, raspberries - these are already planted out. Mooli and parsnips just sown and another batch of radish.  

Waiting to be planted out - courgettes, squash, beetroot, brussels, leeks, celeriac(Monach, it's a non nobbly variety).

Sown swish chad, bulb fennel, sweetcorn(mini pop), runner and french beans(a variety of colours, some dwarf) Nothing up yet thoughimage

GH - toms, cues, chillies, aubergines, basil.

Hoping to grow salad stuff and strawberries at home, along with the usual currants/gooseberries. Aspargus will have to wait till next year...the bed is already half full with flowers.

Probably missed some...        

• Harriet 3Harriet 3 Posts: 10

This is my first proper year, and everyone warned me not to take on too much! I didn't listen!

I have in field - early pots and main crop, red and white onions, leeks, sweetcorn and going to put runner beans and Brussels down there and maybe the celeriac if we have space.

in garden space we have raspberries, gooseberries, strawberries, apples, plums and black and red currants (although these were already there so cant claim I did much there!

Have beetroot, fennel, carrots, parsnips,radishes, chard, lettuce, spinach, squash, courgette, broccoli, French beans, peas , mange tout, borlotti beans, artichoke

And in greenhouse, salad, toms, aubergine, peppers, cucumbers and a funny thing called a pigeon pea which is originally from Tabago so don't hold out much hope!

Ive also tried lots of herbs and have pots and pots of various flowers, although these keep getting eaten by the tame lamb that we thought was a good idea at the time! Turns out she'll happily eat everything EXCEPT grass!

Have to say I'm sure its all out in the wrong order/wrong place etc but its my first year so I'll learn for next hopefully!

• Busy Bee2Busy Bee2 Posts: 1,005

I feel lazy too!!  Or picky.  There are a lot of things we don't like very much, so I don't grow them.  This year we are mostly growing....

Tomatoes (Moneymaker), cucumber, chillies, bell peppers, celery, salad leaves, basil, watercress, sweetcorn, coriander, parsley, rocket, fine beans, runner beans, peas, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, onions, garlic, strawberries, loganberries or tayberries - I forget which, blackcurrants, carrots, parsnips, radishes, pears, apples and potatoes.  And weeds.  Lots of them!! 

Harriet, I'm sure, lamb permitting, that it will all do well.image

Orchid L, how do the Aubergine do out of doors; is it a special variety?

I am very impressed with the amount of veg everyone is growing. We are all going to be immensely healthyimage

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

Artjak, no they aren't a special variety, I just bought the seeds thinking I could grow them outdoors and found out since that this is only the case if the weather is warm enough!  So I'm hoping for a summer like last year, that is why I am also putting some in the GH but don't have enough room for them all to go in the GH (I currently have 9 plants and I've given quite a few away!!)

To be honest I'm not holding out much hope for the aubergines image