London (change)
Today 12°C / 7°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 7°C
21 to 40 of 51 messages
22/01/2013 at 20:20

I'm going to concentrate on trying to grow 7 different varieties of Chilli ! Just waiting for this cold front to pass before sowing the seeds in my lovely new heated propogator!

22/01/2013 at 20:38
Ooh 7 different ones lovely.
22/01/2013 at 20:49
Yep, chili too for me. Anyone grown Beetroot in modules before planting out? I intend to do this in spring. And lemons from my newly gotten lemon tree...
22/01/2013 at 21:27

Beetrrot is fine in modules, I start most of my veg off like that apart from root veg which needs a long tapered root.

23/01/2013 at 01:31

Hehe Hollie, we shall work between us to sow and report on veggies hun lol 

If it grows and edible....I'm going to have a bash. Really fancy Globe Artichoke this year. Never grown one or even tasted it but as part of the thistle family...a Scottish lass needs to honor the traditions lol 

23/01/2013 at 05:54

I have finally sorted my veg seed and plant order out

Potatoes - Marfona,Charlotte,Vivaldi,Kestrel,Picasso and Deisree.

Tomatoes - Shirley,Greensleeves,Marinda,Katiebelle,Luciebelle,Sungold,Sun Cherry Premium,Reisenstraube,Old Ivory Egg,Ferline and Kumato tomato.

Peppers -Jumbo,Tasty Yellow Grill,Mini Orange,Mini Red and grafted plants Milena(orange) and Chelsea(yellow)

Chillies - Pimento Cherry Chilli,Lila Luzi,Hot Cayenne Pepper,Friars Hat and a naughty one called Peter Pepper (google it )

Cucumbers - La Diva,Crystal Apple and grafted Fitness.

Unusaul veg I am going to try are Callaloo and Cucamelon - from the James Wong collection

Basils I will be growing are - Anton,Rubra,Thai ,African Blue,Genovese,Leaf Lettuce and Fine Verde.

You are probably bored by now - will post other veg soon

Pam LL x

23/01/2013 at 08:31

Wow, Pam, your veg garden sounds as fantastic as your flower garden!

23/01/2013 at 22:17

Well last year my veg garden was a complete disaster. Most things I grew were eaten by slugs. I am going to try again this year. I will be growing salads, onions, leeks, broccoli, beans, peas and tomatoes and the usual potatoes which always do well. One question if anyone can help is it better to plant directly into the garden or in the greenhouse first?

23/01/2013 at 22:27

It depends what you are planting. Tomatoes definately start in the greenhouse. I sow french and runner beans in pots in the greenhouse then plant out the little plants after risk of frost has passed. Peas and broad beans can be sown into the garden. I start in March, but many people sow broad beans in autumn. Potatoes, obviously, in garden. Brassicas, eg broccoli, I sow in cold frames and plant in the garden as young plants.

23/01/2013 at 23:01

Thanks for that. Hopefully this year won't be as damp so we don't get as many slugs eating our dinner

23/01/2013 at 23:45

Can see why you need three GH's Lilylouise. Do any of the pepper varieties grow into tall plants, I wanted to plant peppers in the GH bed and have seen some pepper plants which grow to several feet. Only every grown them in pots and the peppers are usually very small.  

24/01/2013 at 08:58

Peppers need lots of water. I've given up, although it's warm enough here, if I forget watering or go on holiday and leave it to someon else the peppers are small and thin skinned.

Have you seen the photos of Lilylouise's garden? it's amazing and the front is all planted with annuals that she probably grows in one of the greenhouses. She opens it for the NGS.

24/01/2013 at 10:14
Omg. I suddenly feel inadequate. Everything I start usually grows. But space is limited. No gh. Just coldframe and dining room table!
Everyone seems so organised. Mines all a bit haphazard.
Loads of fun though.
24/01/2013 at 10:34

I'm needing to put all my veg in old bike tyre stacks, pots and chimneys. Last year the wireworm got EVERYTHING  This year the land needs to lie dormant but be worked so everything is going in pots. Hoping it will be OK  

24/01/2013 at 10:44
Sam. I am the queen of pots! Every available square inch has a pot on. Usually quite successful as you can control water feed ect for that particular plant.
24/01/2013 at 10:46

Ahh, ok. Have you found anything that doesn't do well in pots Sue?

24/01/2013 at 11:57
Don't know about others but I have always had no luck with beetroot in pots. most other things were ok. Grew potatoes in huge plastic pots and potato bags. The pot proved to be more successful. Cherry toms good in pots. I usually grow special small courgettes in fairly biggish pots. Chantennay carrots are also good.
24/01/2013 at 12:01

I want to grow some parsnips!

24/01/2013 at 12:04
PlantBoi007 wrote (see)

I want to grow some parsnips!

Sue H wrote (see)
Don't know about others but I have always had no luck with beetroot in pots. most other things were ok. Grew potatoes in huge plastic pots and potato bags. The pot proved to be more successful. Cherry toms good in pots. I usually grow special small courgettes in fairly biggish pots. Chantennay carrots are also good.

Sue H wrote (see)

24/01/2013 at 12:19

I will look into them then Sue, thanks 007, I grew parsnips and they were great but they had twisted roots and were very ugly. I had a guy in that tested the soil because I thought it was club root, not that, checked the soil for stones not that  Tried them a second year and found the same problem but the carrots were the same. I was lost until on the third year....I looked out the window when my sister was down with the kids to discover that my nephew had been pulling them up to see how they were growing and then replanting them again lol. We monkey. He was only about 6-7. I couldn't be angry with him as he was always very keen on me explaining how things grew and where his food came from. 

21 to 40 of 51 messages