London (change)
Today 17°C / 6°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 4°C
1 to 20 of 22 messages
24/01/2014 at 14:54

I am looking too buy a 8x14ft greenhouse is it better to go for a all glass or a dwarf wall 1 . The interior will be all block paving I am planing to grow in pots and grow bags I don't think it will be heated as I have a lean too that is heated .thanks for any suggestions 

24/01/2014 at 15:40

What are you intending to grow in there Geof3?

24/01/2014 at 17:17

Toms cucumbers,chillies.ect  .maybe loose a few blocks and try a grape vine I've only been at this growing fruit and veg a couple of years so any suggestions will be appreciated  the reason for the size greenhouse I've read you will always find you can fill it and need a larger one .

24/01/2014 at 19:09

In my days of a 18x10ft GH (Halls) in which I grew Tropical plants (fabulous) in an area cutting the GH in half (a manageable 9x10ft  with polythene sheeting acting as a door. It was heated to minimum 60 degrees F in winter which was possible as a result of reducing the size until late spring after which the polythene was removed revealing the full size.

I grew my Toms, bedding plants, rooted cuttings, etc.  in the heated area between January and May before the heating was reduced and then turned off when the temperature maintained the correct degrees. The Toms were then moved in their 18 inch pots into the whole area of the GH for summer and autumn.

The GH was glass to the ground.

24/01/2014 at 21:08

Geoff3 I havent been on the Forum for quite a while.I was browsing and I came upon your paragraph about Greenhouses.Just a small point have you tried looking in your local rags for a giveaway one.Its suprising how many people have ones no longer needed.

24/01/2014 at 23:54

I remember Alan Tichmarsh once saying " 2 things in the garden which will never be too big: your greenhouse and your compost bins" I'd certainly agree to that. The problem with small greenhouses , is that they heat up very quickly, but also cool down very quickly: neither of which is good for plants. 8x14 should be ok, but so much depends upon how much sun it will get and how much time you're prepared to spent looking after it ( watering, ventilation, etc), and its contents. Trial and error methinks. Good luck and happy gardening.

25/01/2014 at 08:13

Hello - it's year number two for me and my greenhouse. Best garden purchase I have made. I got a Robinsons. After doing a lot of research, it was always going to be a stand alone one and it was either going to be a robinsons, halls or a rhino for me.  Ended up getting an absolute bargain off ebay; a nearly new robinsons. The costly bit was paying someone to dismantle, collect and install in my garden, not to mention getting the right surface down to put it on. But it has been a dream though. I'd was worried about mould and damp with a lean to one, probably unnecessarily so though.

25/01/2014 at 08:39

....couldn't agree with you more Brumbull. Especially useful for tea drinking, biscuit dunking and radio listening in too

25/01/2014 at 09:14

Tootles, glad you chose well.

I think a stand alone is better and Robinsons is top product. you sound a very canny character 

Enjoy your greenhouse. 

25/01/2014 at 09:25

I spent all last weekend giving it a good clean. The glass is now sparkling and I'm ready to get stuck in with my pottering! 

25/01/2014 at 10:54

Thanks Some great ideas my ,I hadn't thought about looking for second hand 1 .my builders not back till March so that gives me time to Have a good look round .  

25/01/2014 at 11:28

I hadn't thought of lighting a sulphate candle Brumbull. Great idea! I'll copy that if I may, thanks. I was quite surprised at how much more light comes in after cleaning the glass. I felt a wee bit guilty for disturbing the odd spider though! Far too soft for my own good!

Good luck with the hunt Geof3. I hope you find a good un. Now is a great time of year as I found a couple of good ones being sold as people approach a spring clean. I also found a couple listed on ebay by garden centres who we're looking to get rid of old stock.

25/01/2014 at 11:41

started the hunt already the greenhouse people always seem to be putting good packages at sale prices but never the size or style I want am heading out round garden centres see what they got 

27/01/2014 at 00:53

I too am looking at greenhouses. Currently growing tomatoes, basil and geraniums (I love them and we live in The Falkland Islands-too windy for them outside!) in the conservatory with my three kids 7, 6 and 3. They absolutely love it! Running out of space and planning to buy a greenhouse instead. I know I prefer wooden, but confused by poly carbonate panes and beds or hard base?

My 7 year old is serious about growing, so would like to buy something to meet our needs now and in future if she expands the production!

28/01/2014 at 13:45

Cer

Basically if children are involved I recommend either toughened glass or polycarbonate (basically plastic).

As you are in a windy location toughened glass  which will carry some weight would seem  a better choice.

Some greenhouses come with a metal base to raise the height. Some people bolt them onto a dwarf brick wall. My 8*6 house I've bolted onto flagstones.Some people have soil strips along the insides of the greenhouse. This soil would have to be dug out and changed every 3 years or so.

I grow all mine in containers.

Regards

07/02/2014 at 13:40

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/37163.jpg?width=274&height=350&mode=max

This is all that's left of my greenhouse after Tuesday's storm.

11/02/2014 at 17:04

All this talk of drinking tea and listenting to the radio reminds me that my house has a conservatory which is carpeted as a sun room (I sometimes drink tea in it). It has dwarf walls, clear side glass (maybe polycarbonate) and tinted roof (I'm sure that is twin wall polycarbonate). Carpet aside, it likely to be useful for growing in or is the tinted roof going to be a problem?

I'm in Scotland so it's freezing in there now (even with the blinds drawn back) but it gets very hot in the summer.

There are certain issues, like where to move the stuff that is stored there - several kayaks and stuff out of the camper while I work on it, and the table for drinking tea at.... But it's not exactly being well utilised at present!

15/02/2014 at 21:56

The best type of greenhouse is the one you can afford , new or second hand 

15/02/2014 at 22:51

I remember Monty discussing his new brick and Cedar greenhouse last year on GW, claiming it's temperature range is more stable than a metal framed one. The bricks warm up and maintain heat in spring and into winter, but unlike metal frames the Cedar doesn't heat up excessively on very hot days or conduct the cold as much in winter. Sensible reasoning and something worth considering, I know I will next GH I build, finances permitting.

17/02/2014 at 15:51

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/37676.jpg?width=202&height=350&mode=max

Great thread! Hello everyone, I'm new here. My partner and I are new to any kind of gardening, but soon after digging up most of our grass to make four beds for crop rotation we decided we would like a greenhouse - now awaiting a 9x14 Eden Halls freestanding one. It's the largest we can fit into our small garden - on what used to be a paved BBQ area. Can't wait for it to arrive! Planning to grow veg such as courgettes, aubergines, peppers plus some flowers, and also dreaming of ... apricot (Sunnycot?) or peach (Peche de Vigne?) tree in a tub! Would this work? (Location = Bucks, S. facing) Does anyone else grow small trees or vines of any kind in their G'house? x

1 to 20 of 22 messages