Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

When is the last time to sow tomato seeds

I`ve always sown my tomato seed at the beginning of April, but events have overtaken me this year and need to order tomato seed today! Assuming I will receive it by end of the week- April18th/19th, can I sow it then or is it too late. Most of the advice says early April. Has anyone done the same as me?

• Busy Bee2Busy Bee2 Posts: 1,005

Last year, I found an out of date pack of Gardeners' Delight Tomatoes last year in mid April and planted them expecting nothing.  They did grow and bore lots of tomatoes in September/October.  I have started earlier this year (probably too early).  Last year they were outside, this year I have a greenhouse - I guess that might have been why they came along quite late, but obviously we did have good weather last year, and this year, who knows. 

• chickychicky Posts: 10,409

How many plants do you need Sarah? If its not very many you might be better buying small plants from a GC - they are not very expensive, and would get you back to where you normally are at this time of year.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Sarah - I wouldn't worry too much, but chicky's right - buy a few plants as well  - they're not very expensive.  Sow some seed too - they'll soon catch up anyway.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

I've only just sown mine as I don't have a greenhouse and the outside temperatures need to be good before they're too big for the windowsill.

If I were you I'd pop out today and buy some seed, but if that's not a possibility then order your seed today and sow as soon as you get them.  Look for an early fruiting variety - Red Alert is always early for me and is a tasty tomato that yields well outside.  

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• In reading about the cloche where do I get the material that forms over the frame to seal it ?

I would like to use this idea but don`t know the name of this plastic used or where to get it in the USA  Thanks for any information .image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Hi Marie image

Is this the item you're talking about?  http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/projects/garden-diy/how-to-make-a-cloche-for-seeds/82.html 

I believe the plastic is avalable in the USA - it's a plastic film that's attached over the inside of windows in areas that get bad winters, to seal against drafts.  I would imagine it's available from DIY stores.  

I've just found this on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/3M-Indoor-Window-Insulator-5-Window/dp/B00002NCJI 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• sarah18sarah18 Posts: 5

Thanks for all those responses about growing tomatoes now. I`ll get `Red Alert` and buy some plants from supermarket and plant the seed I`ve ordered and see what happens!

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,731

There are a number of super-early varieties. They hail mainly from Northern Europe where growing seasons are short to the point of almost non-existent.

Years ago in Australia, out of curiosity, I tried one of the better known of them, a Czech variety called Stupice (pron. Stoo-pee-cha). It matured in around 50 days. The best that could be said was that it was red. Virtually no flavour. Typical of the super-early varieties.

They're basically for growers in inhospitable climates for whom any tomato is better than nothing.

• Jim MacdJim Macd Posts: 750

I would say anything is better than a tasteless tomato. image