London (change)
Today 15°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
5 messages
15/04/2013 at 14:47

I just noticed a blue tit nibbling at my second year blackcurrant bushes. Just tiny leaves so far. So I examined what it was feeding on and where the leaves join the stem there are what I assume are either leaves to come or the beginnings of blackcurrants.

I was surprised to see this blue tit take an interest, but now I'm wondering, should I be netting the bushes against birds this early? I'd assumed I'd do that when there were fruit.

I am a total beginner with blackcurrants so would appreciate some guidance.

15/04/2013 at 15:54
They are after those fruit buds.
Net now.
However, when fruiting I net before fruit turns black
15/04/2013 at 15:56

Just keep the netting taut not loose as it will help prevent birds getting entangled in it - and remember to check several times a day in order to free any birds that have got caught.  It's not their fault if they're attracted to your lovely fruit bushes 

15/04/2013 at 16:52

if you want to net the fruit that's o.k and do this ,but at the moment the birds are looking for insects to eat off the bush,such as sawfly larvae which does a lot of harm which birds help to keep at bay.My self,and I have a lot of fruit bushes don't bother that much about the birds ,they do take some but I have  more than enough to share.I have seen a good fruit cage which covers a small area and lets you stand up and work with in.

15/04/2013 at 19:31

Thanks everyone. I netted my three bushes this afternoon. What horrible stuff netting is, got quite entangled myself. Well I hope no birds get entangled.

email image
5 messages