London (change)
Today 12°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 5°C
12 messages
17/07/2014 at 11:27

planted Wautoma cucumbers from ' REAL SEEDS' have been fed ,watered well but all leaves now  brown crispy & dropping. there seem to be any number of wilt , blights that cucumbers are prone too,  can anyone suggest the best disease resistant strain to try next year,  Greenhouse & outdoor thanks

17/07/2014 at 11:52

might not be disease, cucumbers don't like wet feet, if you've over watered (even a little) the roots may have rotted out.

17/07/2014 at 13:08
They can be funny bu##ers, dont like to be even damp on the leaves, i lost my first two plants this year because i let them get soggy. I havent ever had blight tho. Im trying white cues this year, but it will be a while til i can say if i reccomend them or not!
The best thing you can do is ask growers who live by you what type they grow, where are you?
17/07/2014 at 14:05

Dont think Ive over waterd , in large pot in conservatory. very healthy, grew quickly- had quite a few very tasty cus , tough skin though,  suddenly rusty brown like tomato blight leaves.  no close gardeners to ask.  will research before next year 

17/07/2014 at 15:00

Last year I grew marketmore in the greenhouse in a pot, no problem at all lots of lovely fruit. This year I am growing them outside in the ground up canes, the plants are looking good but no fruit mature yet. Also telegraph in the greenhouse planted in the ground with plastic bottles dug in for watering purposes, this variety needs the male flowers removing, the plants are doing well and the fruit is ready to eat had one which was very succulent with a mild taste. Next year I may splash out on more expensive seeds which produce female flowers only as one of my telegraph grew massive 14 inches long but was as bitter as could be due to getting pollinated.

17/07/2014 at 15:48
Where in the country are you bucklebugs? There must be someone on here that lives in your neck of the woods
17/07/2014 at 16:22

kent folkestone 

17/07/2014 at 17:14
Just been having a look online, i think you have been really unlucky to get cucumber blight, especially as you were growing in a conservatory. I didnt see any that were resistant to blight, lots that were resistant to all the other things tho. The ony relevent thing was how to treat, and it seems yours are past that stage unfortunately.
I wonder if that plant was just a bit weaker for some reason, ypu may never get blight again, it is probably just a freak occurance, i hope
It must be reasonably rare, ive never come accross it
17/07/2014 at 17:52

wseemed a realy vigorous healthy plant , affected in acouple of days , also have 2 melons  , minnesota midget, again vigorous  and healthy , but I can see a lot of same type of leaves today.  loads of male flowers no female .

17/07/2014 at 18:03

I've learnt from experience with greenhouse cucumbers, and now ONLY grow varieties that are resistance to Powdery Mildew disease. This year I'm enjoying good crops on Bella and Tiffany.

Drying leaves can also be the result of attack by Red Spider Mite. Have you inspected leaves closely for any signs? Maintaining high humidity by regular misting can help deter attack.

18/07/2014 at 08:16

Good to here  Bella and tiffany it will be next year. Thought cucs liked to be dryish or the stem rots,??   Last year lost all varieties of Toms bar one.  This year only growing Vanessa & Losetto . seems fine so far !

18/07/2014 at 10:23

Don't mention tomato blight!!!!!!

Blame myself really, as I'd been keeping a close eye on outdoor tomatoes to try and judge when I should spray with a preventive copper fungicide. Suddenly spotted in this week, and it has already taken hold.

Have ripped out any plants showing symptoms of blight and sprayed everything, including Losetto that should be blight tolerant. Not leaving anything to chance as I really love my tomatoes!

Hopefully some of the large Italian plum tomatoes will have survived ... fingers crossed!

All this rain, high humidity and high temperatures is just what blight needs to spread on potatoes and tomatoes, so beware! Spray today!

email image
12 messages