Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Which fruit for shade?

Hi image I have an odd shaped bed, which currently has some fruit, but will have to be turned in to a permenent fruit bed as im running out of space! Right out of the things below what will take the shadier end of the bed? Not full shade. Rhubarb Gooseberries Raspberries Tayberry Blueberries Thanks image

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Thanks Pansyface, ive got a feeling the rhubarb might be ok too, so might do a row of each going from the shadier bit to full sun, then just keep the blueberries in full sun image
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Posts: 8,328

Sounds good Bekkie.  I've got raspberries on NE facing slope, at the bottom of a 15ft retaining wall - so pretty shady.  15lb of raspberry jam this year - nuf said?  image

Since 2019 I've lived in east Clare, in the west of Ireland.
  • bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Thanks Liri, some of the rasps were already in the dodgy bit and have done well, im planning to get 3 polka canes to add to the autumn bliss, really need more room! image
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Posts: 8,328

Don't we all...  image

Since 2019 I've lived in east Clare, in the west of Ireland.
  • artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

For some years I tried to grow rhubarb; only had success when I put it in dappled shadeimage

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

I have gooseberries and rhubarb in a shady part of my allotment - shaded by an apple tree growing growing in 'no mans land'.