London (change)
Today 25°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 17°C
6 messages
18/04/2014 at 16:53

Spurred by one or two of the other threads on here and by my natural reluctance to make a decision, I'm starting an experiment to compare four brands of growbag for growing three varieties of tomatoes in a large, unheated greenhouse.

The four brands are:

New Horizons Organic & Peat Free Growing Bag (x4)

J Arthur Bower's Growbag with Sincro-Boost (x2)

Levington Original Gro-bag (x2)

Levington Giant Tomato Planter (x1 coz they only had one left)

...and the three tomato varieties are Moneymaker, Gardeners' Delight and Costoluto Fiorento.  I propose to plant one of each in rings in each bag, on the greenhouse staging and train them up strings to the roof.  I'll try and ensure they're watered regularly and fed with Levington's Tomorite, although as I'm only there twice a week, some of the watering will have to be delegated.  I'll weigh and taste the produce to try and compare them.

If anyone's interested I'll write this up properly and publish it on line somewhere, and of course the result will come on here - if you want...?

Any other ideas?

18/04/2014 at 16:58

Steve..........sounds like a good idea............the only thing I would say is that if you are delegating the watering, ensure that your delegatee (if there is such a word ?) doesn't over water........kiss of death for flavour

18/04/2014 at 17:02

Yes indeed.  Given the likely level of intellect and experience that may prove to be the most difficult part!  But at least they'll all be the same.  Maybe.

And yes, I'm sure that's the word

18/04/2014 at 17:45

I always use the Levington giant tomato growbags along with growpots, gives plenty of depth that way.

18/04/2014 at 17:50

I used bags for the last couple of years but this year I am wondering if the pot culture produces as god a crop as from bags, any ideas

22/04/2014 at 18:02

I think Mr Don did that experiment last year Roy.

I'm using ring culture - bottomless pots (or short lengths of 6" drainpipe) full of potting compost on top of the compost in the growbags. Tried this last year fir the first time and it seemed to work q well.  I grew some in pots too and there seemed to be little difference. 

email image
6 messages