7 messages
13/01/2013 at 22:34

There's such a big choice I decided on some tried and tested varieties with a couple of new one's.

1st earlies are Pentland Javelin and Winston. Charlotte seems popular though but I find the skins come off when cooked unless steamed.

2nd earlies Estima and Wilja. Wilja are nice and creamy when mashed.

Main crop,Desire.

I've still to go to the local potato fair but with only two spare growing bags and Red Duke of York a favourite, was going to go for another main crop to fill the last bag. The local nursey's here are selling seed potatoes per lb which has worked out at 10 to 12p each.    

Which varieties are you guys choosing...

13/01/2013 at 22:57

I'm just going to grow Charlotte. They were earlier than the first early I bought last year and a better flavour and they keep. I prefer the skins off. Can't grow main crop because of blight and colorado beetles. We eat rice and pasta more often anyway.

14/01/2013 at 19:10

I've ordered the same as last year - Charlottes and Lady Cristl.  They are both nice - one is a first early and the other is a second, so they last longer.

14/01/2013 at 19:15

I ordered our potatoes today  We are growing

Charlotte,Marfona,Kestrel,Vivaldi,Picasso and Desiree

Pam LL x

14/01/2013 at 21:00

Busy-Lizzie where are you from? You don't usually get Colorado Beetles in the UK - if you do they are notifiable pest and DEFRA need to be told as they would be a devastating pest to the agricultural industry.

16/01/2013 at 13:11

I bought some charlotte to grow in potato bags, I never grow maincrop as they aren't that expensive in the shops. I have bought from home bargains 99p a pack, so we'll see how they do, I bought from a well known mail order firm last year and they didn't arrive til mid-late march!! All ready in eagg boxes in conservatory chitting as we speak!!!

16/01/2013 at 14:04

Hello Chris, I live in Dordogne, France. I didn't say because I've said it so often before in other posts I thought everyone would be fed up reading it by now! I remember when I was a child in the UK and there were photos of colorado beetles everywhere even at the local swimming pool!

email image
7 messages