London (change)
Today 13°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
4 messages
06/08/2013 at 13:24

Hello,

I am new to this forum and relatively new to gardening. I have made 6 raised beds for my vegetables to be rotated which are divided as follows:

Bed 1: Potatoes: Aubergine, pepper, potato, tomato

Bed 2: Peas and beans

Bed 3: Brassicas

Bed 4: Marrow: Artichoke, lettuce, sunflower, corn, melon, watermelon, cucumber, courgette, marrow

Bed 5: Roots: Carrots, beetroot, spinach, celery, dill, fennel, parsley, parsnip

Bed 6: Onion: Chives, garlic, onion

My question is that which of these beds would benefit from a good layer of farmyard manure in autumn? Different gardeners seem to have different opinions, some say for instance that brassica, onion, and root veg especially carrots don't grow well if the soil is too rich. Others say that all veg benefit from fertile soil. Advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Aisha

06/08/2013 at 13:52

Bed 1 Taters can be grown in fairly fresh manure. The best stuff is black, crumbly, well rotted and does not smell. At this stage you can also use it in bean trenches, and under courgettes..

Basically manure bed 1 in year 1 , in year 2 put peas and beans. year 3 grow brassicas. Brassicas benefit from nitrogen left by peas and beans.

Onions also grow in fertile soil which was manured last year.. Bed 5 does not like manure at all. so would be last in a rotation. Onions like it rich. Mine are growing on last years well rotted and will be massive.

07/08/2013 at 16:58

Thank you for your answer fidgebones. So basically if this was my plan for next spring, I would manure beds 1, 4, and 6? and may be apply leaf mould on bed 5?

07/08/2013 at 17:16

Aisha, if the manure is old and well-rotted, you could dig it into bed 5 in the autumn for spring planting. Root crops - carrots, etc - resent recently-manured beds, particularly if the manure is fresh, that's all. Or recently fertilised in any way, for that matter. The most important thing for the root crops is to have the soil as fine - lump-free - as you can get it.

email image
4 messages