London (change)
Today 16°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 11°C
9 messages
12/08/2013 at 12:04

I have 5 sweet chilli plants in pots in my greenhouse each plant has about 8 chilli's on it which just keep getting bigger and bigger, they are about the size of normal peppers, but none are turning red some have even started to rot.  The plants also keep getting taller with more flowers and fruits being produced. Yesterday I removed all the growing tips, flowers and small fruits and cut off some of the leaves as I do with my tomato plants, in the hopes that this will make them turn red.  I grew the same chilli's last year and had no problems with them, the only difference to the growing conditions this year is that they are in larger pots and of course the weather has been much hotter.  I only water them when they are dry and only feed them every two weeks.  Can anyone please tell me what I am doing wrong.

12/08/2013 at 12:21

Hi

I don't think you're doing anything wrong. You could try taking one chilli off the plant to ripen on the windowsill. My husband grows alot of chillis and he checks that they have enought water morning and evening. Like yours they are also in our greenhouse. I'll see if he has any idea why its happening.

12/08/2013 at 12:43

Some varieties mature as green, DL.

12/08/2013 at 12:49

Dahlia lover... What are you growing? It's still a wee bit earlier for ripe fruits I normally find September is about right... Just be patient you are doing everything right they are just plumping up to give you more flavour....

12/08/2013 at 12:52

Hi,

I think part of the problem may well be that they are in the greenhouse-sounds strange  but despite being tropical, chilli plants have a temperature limit of around 30 degrees- "too hot, they rot". I think excessive heat and then the sharp temperature drop at night affects the plant's enzymes and stops full ripening occuring- they like a constant temperature.

Also, the air inside greenhouses is "still", chillis like humidity but with ventalation, otherwise Botrytis (grey mold) can occur on stems, petioles and fruits. Basically, they're fussy! 

Traditionally, chillis are picked whilst still green- leaving until red reduces yeilds by up to 25%. Pick the all the older chilli's off, any rot will spread quickly in humid greenhouses and ruin all your hard work. Snip off the chillis and ripen on a windowsill (lodging chillis upright in an old egg carton sometimes works alon). 

I always pick mine green once they have reached good size- the amount of capsaicin (heat) won't be much less at all- the chillis should ripen okay inside (and so sweeten as the natural storage carbohydrates convert into sugars).

Hope this helps and fingers crossed that they pick up- 

Crazycat

12/08/2013 at 13:28

Thanks for your prompt replies folks.  The type of chilli is called Caldero it's sweet and not too hot and recommended for growing in pots. Crazycat, I took the chilli's that were starting to rot off the plant straight away, I've been watering the floor of the greenhouse when the weather was very hot to create humidity and kept the door and two windows open, I even put the chilli plants outside on extremely hot days and by this time last year the same type of chilli's were only half the size and were already turning red.  Anyway I shall take your advice and cut one off and place it on my kitchen windowsill, I'll let you know if it works.

Many thanks again

Bee

12/08/2013 at 15:11

Bee just leave them outside from now till September...

12/08/2013 at 17:36

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/29232.jpg?width=307&height=350&mode=max

Take heart these are my scotch bonnet grown outside .

12/08/2013 at 18:12

Hi

hubby reckoned it could be watering. He stands his in water all the time so they take what they need, as the chillis contain lots of water. He also leaves the greenhouse door open all day and even took out two of the glass panes to give more air circulation.

email image
9 messages