London (change)
Today 27°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 17°C
6 messages
11/05/2013 at 20:54

I planted an Oullins Gage about three years ago.  It was a two year old bare root tree at the time.  It hasn't fruited since then and so far this Spring it has only produced a very small number of flowers. I have fed it each Spring with fish, blood and bone and mulched around the base with home made compost each autumn to improve the soil. It looks vera healthy so I don't know why it won't fruit.  Is it still too young or have I picked a temperamental variety? Any advice is welcome. Thank you!

12/05/2013 at 07:58

It's still a young tree and will have been concentrating on getting a good root system going - it sounds as if you're doing all the right things - but maybe give it the Fish,blood and bone a bit earlier - late winter rather than spring?  That's the only thing I can think of - I think you're getting there - Oullins Gage is a lovely fruit 

12/05/2013 at 09:20

All plum trees take some time to fruit - can be up to 10 yrs. I planted a Damson 5 yrs ago. This is the first year I've had lots of blossom. I'm living in hope, but not holding my breath

I love gages too!

12/05/2013 at 09:54

Thank you. That's reassuring.  I can wait a few more years!  I find it fascinating how some trees get to it almost instantly (my quince trees fruited in year two and have been amazing producers since then) and others take a long time. I'll stay patient!

12/05/2013 at 21:32

I could be wrong here but is it like  Choysa ( mexican orange) which I once had , I gave this lots of food and it got massive , realy good condition . I then read that you shouldnt overfeed or it all goes into the growth. So I stopped feeding and the year after year it was full of beautiful white flowers . It got to a beautiful size and then we moved . 

12/05/2013 at 21:36

I'd have agreed with you Lucky3, if Squeaky was feeding with high nitrogen, but Blood Fish and Bone is well balanced with potash to promote flowers and fruit so should be encouraging the tree to fruit as soon as it is ready. 

email image
6 messages