London (change)
Today 15°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 9°C
7 messages
14/04/2013 at 14:42

Hi Everyone, I have been watching some cookery programmes and they have been using wild garlic. This plant usually has a white flower. In my front garden I keep getting garlicy smelling flowers growing, looks the same, but they have yellow flowers. Can this be the same sort of thing?

14/04/2013 at 16:13
I think your plants might be allium moly. Same family, but not sure whether the flowers are edible.
14/04/2013 at 16:55

If the flowers are yellow, then it's not the same.  However  . . . .

The trendy thing is to use "wild garlic" in some recipes.  A bit like the numerous Michelin stars awarded to the Danish restaurant (I think called "Noma").  Just be aware, that "on-trend" is not the same as viable.  Wild garlic is a weed in the domestic environment, best treated with glyphosate.  Trying to dig it out will result in the bulbils spreading like wildfire. 

Oh, and the much-famed Danish restaurant has had many problems of "tummy upsets" recently - so perhaps (!) foraging for wild stuff, especially if you don't know what you're doing, is not such a good idea!

15/04/2013 at 13:39

"Wild garlic is a weed in the domestic environment, best treated with glyphosate"

Not in my garden it's not. It was a deliberately sown plant, one of the first harbingers of spring, delightful white flowers and a welcome addition to omelettes and salads. I'm fully aware of it's tendency to spread but it is easily managed by ensuring it doesn't set seed, and by digging out the bulbils (which DOES work if you do it properly).

Fewer sweeping generalisations please.

15/04/2013 at 13:42

A plant in the wrong place is a weed, liking or disliking one is personal too.

I grow wild garlic in my garden and it is a welcome feature in spring as it is one of the few plants that flowers in Spring. I also use the leaves to make pesto, which has a milder flavour than the commercial garlic. The flowers and leaves are also delicious in stir fries and a fresh change from chinese chives and garlic shoots.

And, NO I bought the wild garlic plants from a nursery and did not dig them up from the North Downs.

So, if you want to have a go at growing and using wild garlic; have a go. If the plants are in the wrong place, they are easily dug up as they are not deep rooted and do not have tape roots or rhizomes.

The yellow flowered plant belongs to the allium family(hence the garlicky smell) but I do not know if it can be eaten.

15/04/2013 at 13:43

Thank you Clandula

15/04/2013 at 13:46

I used to stay opposite a small bit of woodland which was covered in Wild Garlic and the girls used to delight in bringing it home in little buckets!!

Judith- Wild Garlic definitely has white flowers. As fig says many alliums have edible flowers etc but perhaps best to hang fire till you get someone knowledgeable to take a look first.

email image
7 messages