London (change)
Today 18°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 13°C
5 messages
06/09/2013 at 18:16

At the risk of sounding stupid, is there a quick way to find out if someone has already posted a thread about your subject ? - I've just spent (a very entertaining) far too long scrolling through and still only got half way ! I didn't want to start a new one if there was one already,

My question is this: I have taken on a mature (neglected ) wall -trained kiwi plant in South Derbys.

It has not been properly pruned and I will tackle this in the winter and get it back (?) into an espalier. In the meantime, I am told it produces kiwis evry year but they never get beyond bullets. I guess part of this is down to the fact that they are overshadowed by excess foliage when they should be baking in the sun but also our seasons are probably on the short side.  As it is wall trained, it would be possible to build it a little (large) tent to keep it warm for a bit longer. does anyone have any experinece of this please ? Kiwis currently about three quarters full size but looking very healthy. What can I do to help them mature ?

thx.

06/09/2013 at 18:46

Green Beanz, go to the top of the page and there is a box "search this site" - type kiwi and press the search button - I just got 39 results.  I have about 5 or 6 kiwi plants I grew from the seeds of shop-bought fruit about 6-8 years ago.  I've never even had a flower so you are way ahead of me (in Leics.)!  I've never pruned them properly though but suspect my best bet is to buy a self-fertile variety and get rid of the ones I have.

06/09/2013 at 20:12

Thanks - knew  I was being stupid ! if I manage to take a cutting (it's my thang!) you'd be welcome to one - I think the prob with seeding anything shop bought is you don't know the variety and the chances are it came from somewhere with completely different conditions - fun tho'! -  my kids recently planted an avocado stone/pip (?) but the only thing emerging form the pot so far is a whopping great plant label which reads " Mum - DO NOT chuck this out!

Cheers GB

06/09/2013 at 20:22

Don:t feel quite so stupid - just scrolled through all 39 and no answer - mostly anout varieties etc. Guess I'll get building and see if it helps!

07/09/2013 at 00:29

Do you know the variety?  Not all of them are self-fertile and if you have a variety that needs a mate the fruit will never ripen even if you build it a Crystal Palace.

email image
5 messages