London (change)
Today 15°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 9°C
4 messages
28/10/2013 at 13:45

Hi there

I grew brocolli from seed this year and it was great - have been harvesting it all summer.  It's just about finished now but the plants look excellent.  I'm thinking about pruning off all the last little spears they are going to grow and leaving the plants and, maybe, the plants will survive winter and produce more next year?  I know strictly speaking they are annuals but you never know...... anyone else done this?

Many thanks all, sorry if this has been asked before, but I haven't been on here in a while.

regards

MOB

28/10/2013 at 14:04

If it survives the winter,and you feed it in spring,you should get useable spring greens from it, as fresh leaves. The summer broccoli type often don't survive the winter though.

Cabbages, if you cut a cross in the stalk when you harvest it, will often grow new leaves that can be used, even if they are not hearted cabbages. It extends the season a bit.

28/10/2013 at 14:44

Many thanks.  The leaves are actually delicious so will go with that.

MOB

28/10/2013 at 17:17

That's good to know as half my broccoli - the older plants from early summer - have bolted in the 19 and 20Cs we've been having this week.  Instead of removing the plabts Ii'll remove the flowers and we'll eat the foliage.

email image
4 messages