London (change)
Today 13°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
4 messages
22/06/2012 at 15:43

My asparagus is into it's second 'summer' and three of the four crowns have put forth a frond each whilst the fourth has two fronds.  Unfortunatly one lone frond has been blown down and broken off from the crown.  Is there any chance that it will recover?  Will it grow a new frond this year or next?  Should I just plant a new crown in the autumn?  Thanks

22/06/2012 at 20:02

Hello ZenZinnia My asparagus has also blown over and boken off. (I planted them last year). I am hoping they will be OK but I don't know.

23/06/2012 at 08:24

I had 2 x 20' rows of asparagus in their fifth year, grown from seed. I was looking forward to harvesting them last year, but the spears were extremely spindly and turned to fern at 6". this year no sign of any of the crowns. I have bought more seed and will endevour to grow some more, but I will plant them out in a different location as the bed was rather wet over the late spring............... well, flooded much of the time and I expect the existing crowns have rotted.

23/06/2012 at 10:49

Be patient. I had put in 12 crowns and they are now into their 4th year. About 4 havent produced anything this year so will be replanting. The others have produced so many i was getting sick of it.I will top dress the whole bed this autumn.Roll on next year when it starts all over again

email image
4 messages