London (change)
Today 11°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 9°C / 4°C
7 messages
08/07/2014 at 17:29

Hi Guys, i'm thinking/planning ahead to winter at the moment   and would like some info on winter veg that can be grown in a greenhouse please. I am a newbie and this is my first season with a greenhouse so i'm still finding my feet.

One of the veggies i would love to have a home grown supply of in winter are parsnips, can this be done? The others are chantenay carrots? Asparagus is another but i do know it can take up to two years to establish the plant before it starts yielding a decent crop so might get on that one next spring, unless any of you have some tips .

Anyway all that aside this might be a good thread to list some top winter veggies we can all have a go at so any suggestions or tips for us all would be great 

08/07/2014 at 18:02
Possibly carrots, im afraid its too late for parsnips really, they are normally sown early, i think you can plant asparagus in autumn, but it will still be a long time before you can take any.
Have look on th dt brown/marshalls sites, they will be selling veg plants for winter, most of these can be grown from seed now, its nice to get ideas from these sites tho.
Im growing kale and purple sprouting
08/07/2014 at 19:03
Russian red kale did us proud last winter... Needless to say it is being grown again but not in a greenhouse.
08/07/2014 at 19:05

I'm going for Kale too. Also I grow salad leaves through the winter in the greenhouse.

08/07/2014 at 20:20

I usually sow a couple of rows of Swiss Chard 'Lucullus' at this time of year - I get pickings throughout the autumn and into the winter, and then whenever there's a mild spell there's some more to be picked.  Then, as soon as the early signs of spring arrive it starts into growth again and I carry on picking until early summer. 

And of course, sow Broad beans Aquadulce Claudia in late October and they'll start into growth immediately, continue to grow slowly through the winter and produce a great crop in the spring.  With no need for any protection from the winter weather.  Last year mine were under 18" of snow for what felt like months on end, and we were picking loads of beans in May 

nin
10/07/2014 at 17:08

I grew salald and spinach in the raised bed next to the house last winter. There are a few good winter salads like tatsoi. I did however have issues with baby slugs due to the mild winter and my salad being about the only soft leaves in the garden.

I also did spring onions over winter which came up quickly in the spring for picking. Broad beans are great planted in September /October and picked in April. Not really winter but over winter.

If you have a greenhouse why not try new potatoes for Christmas day,its a bit hit and miss but good fun if it works.

11/07/2014 at 08:06

I overwintered spring onions, chard and spinach beet last year, without a greenhouse. As Nin says, this was more something to keep the beds busy and eat in the spring, but  you may be able to pick a few leaves when it's mild.

email image
7 messages