Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Yellowing Basil plant leafs.

I've just been tidying the kitchen and went to rotate the basil plant that lives on the windowsill only to notice the leaves are yellowing. Could this be due to a lack of nutrients? Its been in the same pot for a good 8 months now if not longer and has continued to grow like a mad thing intent on reaching the moon.
http://i819.photobucket.com/albums/zz113/LadyClarington/20140115_213723_zpsb03e692a.jpg

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

Basil is a half-hardy annual plant, I grow it outdoors in the summer.

Don't know a lot about growing herbs indoors but me thinks it's probably dying due to lack of sunlight. You've done really well to keep it until now and if it's on a window ledge you aren't going to get more light by moving it.

Other's maybe along shortly to give better advise.

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

Thanks Zoomer. The plant itself is well over a year old (one of those ones you buy at the supermarket that normally die in a day or two). I'll see if one of the other windows gets any more light and move it and see what happens. 

• Wow Clarington you did really well there. I've never yet managed to grow a basil plant brought from the trusty supermarket. Days at best and then its all over!

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

I would pot it on if it is still in the little pot from the shop and feed it; Baby Bio now do an indoor herb feeding liquid, though I admit I just use ordinary Baby Bio. It still may not survive, but at least you will have tried!

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

Heather. As one would expect it originally keeled over within two days or so and because it was raining I put it in the open plastic greenhouse by the back door with the intention of composting it when the rain stopped. Well the rain didn't stop for several days and when I returned it had perked up and has grown like a mad thing ever since. I have a freezer drawer half full with pesto and dried leafs I've cut from it in a bid to stop it taking over the entire window.

Artjak - its been potted up once since we brought it but only once into normal compost. I'll give it a feed and see about planting some seeds so we can let this one retire!

• JulieSHJulieSH Posts: 10

Yellowing leaves can be an indication of 'wet feet'.  But like everyone else I am amazed that you have kept this plant going for such a long time.  Have you tried the Greek Basil plants to be found in Sainsburys?  They have tiny very fragrant leaves and seem happy to last for weeks and weeks on my window sill.