London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 13°C
8 messages
26/04/2013 at 19:47

Hi all.

Can you give any advice please regarding how best to bring on 2 inch tom plants in 3 inch pots particularly watering and feeding. and at what size or state of development should I plant them on into growbags. They are at present in a cold greenhouse.

thanks in advance. Peter.

26/04/2013 at 20:04

Hi Peter

Keep them covered if frost forecast, water when the compost seems a bit dry.  I don't normally plant mine into growbags until early June, and I start feeding them with tomarite at that stage too.  I'm not an expert, but I don't think little plants like too much in the way of feed.

Hope this helps

KEF
26/04/2013 at 20:05

Mine are that size, same size pots but still in my conservatory, Chilly in S. Yorks. I have them in multi-purpose compost which is usually ok until I plant them in final pots in cold greenhouse. I don't usually feed until first truss has set.

Today they looked a little pale so I've fed them a VERY weak seaweed multi veg liquid feed. I only water them when the pots feel light, they're usually fine with this. Unless you have heat in greenhouse, or in a warm area, which I assume you are, I would wait until they need supporting before putting in grownbags, might need water twice a day in current pots if weather warm..maybe keep a check on colour of them as I have done.

Hope this has helped...so wish mine could go in greenhouse..I've still got herbs and other stuff in there that I daren't bring out, frost due for tonight.

26/04/2013 at 20:12

Peter I've just potted mine on into 6" pots from little 3" ones as the  roots were just getting to bottom of pot. They are around 9"/10" in size with plenty of leaves and I'll wait a little again before putting into their final home. As chicky says-too early to feed just now-wait till they are setting fruit -ie when the flowers are dying back- so a while to go yet!

Don't overwater-damp rather than wet. They're still very tiny.

26/04/2013 at 21:00

Like Fairygirl, I usually pot-on to 5 or 6" pots after the 3".  I don't plant into the cold greenhouse until local night time temperatures are guaranteed to not drop much below 10C, so about the end of May.  They've spent most of this week in the GH all day and night, but will be brought back indoors each night starting tonight, now that the night temps are forecast to be single figures (or even frosts) for the next few days.

26/04/2013 at 23:16
03/05/2013 at 18:10

l bought 6 different varieties of tomato plants about 2 weeks ago and put straight into plastic greenhouse. Repotted into bigger pots,seem to be thriving. Whens best to plant into growbags. Never grow them before.

Pete.

03/05/2013 at 18:44

My tomatoes are in 6" pots and much the same height as fairygirl's, viz. 9" or so.  I will pot on into slightly bigger pots soon and then pot on again before their final position.  I won't feed until I see flowers

Growbags are bit shallow I think....some people place the bags on edge, two to a bag or plant in pots anchored in the growbag.  

They must be kept warm...even a slight cold will check them

email image
8 messages