Forum home Garden design
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

?? Pond on My Allotment

NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 1,813

Got an allotment 45 foot by 16 foot  in 10 beds each 14 foot by 4 foot so it would be about 6 foot by 3 foot only

Any thoughts friends please

Everyone is just trying to be Happy.....So lets help Them.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Hi NewBoy. I take it you mean that size for a pond? I think that's plenty big enough for a decent pond. I had one a similar size in a previous garden.  I think  an important point to consider since it's an allotment, is to get a bit of cover for wildlife to be safe. Mine  had a beached slope so that animals could get in and out and plenty of little places for them to hide, so maybe you could locate it so that there's other planting around. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Check your allotment rules and regs.  some allow a pond, some don't image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Agree with dove - check first.  If you can then (like the man from Del Monte) I say "YES" for two very good reasons:

1) Gives an area for frogs to mate and hatch tadpoles that turn into more frogs to eat slugs.

2) It's somewhere for bees to drink - thus attracting them to your plot for pollinisation

I have an old bath dug into the ground (with the plug in) that has stones large and small piled on one side.  This gives mammals a way out if they fall in, somewhere for the birds to wash (in the shallows), and little hidey places for amphibians to hibernate.  I've chucked in a loads of plants from other's ponds and it looks fab.

• NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 1,813

Man from Allotment Association he say "Non "

A pond was dug near a path and someone fell in

I thought that was how the World worked....Natural Selection !!

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Oh what a shame. 

Natural selection - very good!  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • An upturned dustbin lid with some pebbles in isn't a pond and will attract wildlife

eg:

http://flightplot.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/dustbin-lid-pond.jpg

image Farmergeddun!!!

And a bog garden isn't a pond either - and you'll still get frogs and toads visiting it image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

Or another idea - do you have an allotment shed?  

If so you will of course, have a water butt to collect the rainwater from the gutter and downpipe - and that might have an overflow into a large shallow receptacle in which you can grow watercress and in which you can plunge plants before planting out (so obviously for horticultural purposes image) but it will also attract frogs, toads, birds etc image

There are many ways of having a pond without actually having a pond

• NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 1,813

Thanks all......I need to get out my Devious Hat

Will report back

Storms  due in about 10 hours time...now 12.30 pm

Got 6 breeze blocks in my shed to keep it on the ground !!