London (change)
Today 19°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 10°C
13 messages
21/10/2013 at 17:38

Got an allotment 45 foot by 16 foot  in 10 beds each 14 foot by 4 foot so it would be about 6 foot by 3 foot only

Any thoughts friends please

21/10/2013 at 19:06

Hi NewBoy. I take it you mean that size for a pond? I think that's plenty big enough for a decent pond. I had one a similar size in a previous garden.  I think  an important point to consider since it's an allotment, is to get a bit of cover for wildlife to be safe. Mine  had a beached slope so that animals could get in and out and plenty of little places for them to hide, so maybe you could locate it so that there's other planting around. 

21/10/2013 at 22:04

Check your allotment rules and regs.  some allow a pond, some don't 

21/10/2013 at 22:16

Agree with dove - check first.  If you can then (like the man from Del Monte) I say "YES" for two very good reasons:

1) Gives an area for frogs to mate and hatch tadpoles that turn into more frogs to eat slugs.

2) It's somewhere for bees to drink - thus attracting them to your plot for pollinisation

I have an old bath dug into the ground (with the plug in) that has stones large and small piled on one side.  This gives mammals a way out if they fall in, somewhere for the birds to wash (in the shallows), and little hidey places for amphibians to hibernate.  I've chucked in a loads of plants from other's ponds and it looks fab.

25/10/2013 at 13:26

Man from Allotment Association he say "Non "

A pond was dug near a path and someone fell in

I thought that was how the World worked....Natural Selection !!

25/10/2013 at 13:31

Oh what a shame. 

Natural selection - very good!  

25/10/2013 at 20:16

An upturned dustbin lid with some pebbles in isn't a pond and will attract wildlife

eg:

http://flightplot.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/dustbin-lid-pond.jpg

26/10/2013 at 08:55

Farmergeddun!!!

And a bog garden isn't a pond either - and you'll still get frogs and toads visiting it 

26/10/2013 at 08:58

Or another idea - do you have an allotment shed?  

If so you will of course, have a water butt to collect the rainwater from the gutter and downpipe - and that might have an overflow into a large shallow receptacle in which you can grow watercress and in which you can plunge plants before planting out (so obviously for horticultural purposes ) but it will also attract frogs, toads, birds etc 

27/10/2013 at 00:30

There are many ways of having a pond without actually having a pond

27/10/2013 at 12:37

Thanks all......I need to get out my Devious Hat

Will report back

Storms  due in about 10 hours time...now 12.30 pm

Got 6 breeze blocks in my shed to keep it on the ground !!

24/03/2014 at 20:20

How about a water tank? or a shallow galvanised tin bath. I've used both for planters but I Have seen both as ponds (you just have to get round the steep sides)

28/03/2014 at 16:34

Newboy............did you ever get your devious hat on ?

I've just taken over an allotment and there was no mention of "no ponds" so I imagine every allotment society has differing rules.  One of the rules on ours is that allotments should be kept cultivated and (reasonably) tidy but there are some which just seem to be used for overflow of rubbish/old cultivators, etc.  It seems a shame not to be allowed a small pond........again, our particular rules state that children under 16 are not allowed on the allotments unless accompanied by a responsible adult so the drowning aspect would seem somewhat farfetched in our particular circs.

However, as said above there are many ways of having a pond without actually having one

As a new allotmenteer, I'd be interested to know whether you have managed to circumvent the rules ?

email image
13 messages