London (change)
Today 15°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 12°C
10 messages
28/02/2013 at 13:41

New to gardening and fancy 2 acer trees, when how please

28/02/2013 at 13:46

Now is as good a time as any-hope you have deep pockets- at that size they do not come cheap

Lyn
28/02/2013 at 13:48

If you can wait a little while Morrisons may get them in, they had them last year for £7.00. about 3 tf tall, but they will grow. Put some ericaceous soil round them, they like acid ground.

28/02/2013 at 13:55

It's nearly always better to buy small, plant well and watch them grow, whatever the shrub or tree.   If you're new to gardening this is especially so since you have to get the planting hole and after care right to avoid checking, or even killing, a more mature plant.

Find yourself a good garden centre or nursery somewhere nearby where you can look at and compare several specimens and ask about the kind of care and conditions they need.   Acers generally don't like full sun, need shelter from winds and extreme cold and like a neutral to acid soil with good drainage but plenty of moisture.

28/02/2013 at 13:58

And remember that, though they are fairly slow growing, they do get bigger than 4-6 feet. Then you have to decide whether to spoil their elegant shape by pruning them or whether to take them out.

28/02/2013 at 18:01

Wished I had known that Lyn, I bought a 3 footer 3 years ago this spring, it was about 3ft and cost me £15.

Although, its grown well and looks stunning.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/19140.jpg?width=648&height=350&mode=max

I like the green leaves at the bottom and red at the top.

28/02/2013 at 18:26
Lots of varieties of acers. Best to check them out online first to see which variety you want and compare prices and check if your position is suitable. They are not the easiest of trees to grow unless you can provide them with shelter from strong winds, a reasonably acid soil with some moisture and shelter from strong sunshine. I grow some varieties but struggle with others.....in Cornwall there is an additional problem with salt winds, another difficulty with acers.
28/02/2013 at 19:20

Careful with that one, Dave.  If it's a grafted tree, the green leaves could be from below the graft (ie from the rootstock) and if the rootstock is more vigorous than the variety grafted onto it, the branches growing the green leaves will quickly take over.  Have a look and see if you can see the graft.  If so, and the green leaves are growing from below it, I'd advise pruning that branch off, close to the main stem.

28/02/2013 at 20:24
Agree with bob, remove those "green" leaves at the base asap
28/02/2013 at 22:59

The green leaves are from below the graft, but I quite like it. It has been there since I bought it and hasnt shown any sign of taking over. Haven't had to trim it yet, but may do it this year.

email image
10 messages