London (change)
Today 19°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 19°C / 13°C
21 to 28 of 28 messages
30/03/2014 at 10:41

Hi, we are hoping to get a fence up within the next few weeks which is exciting

we'll have a 4ft trellis fence running around 2 and a half sides of our garden and are interested in having clematis, honeysuckle, sweet peas and vine tomatoes to climb the trellis

any tips for a complete beginner?

thanks!

30/03/2014 at 11:05

My tip is to buy the clematis as small plants (the magazines/newspapers often have "free" offers - or the GCs do them 4 for £10 sometimes).  They get established much quicker than the expensive, bigger ones.  And plant them about 4 inches deeper than they were in their pot. Have fun - it looks like an exciting project

30/03/2014 at 11:10

Morrisons for clematis and honeysuckle if you don't have a cheap GC.  They have a good range which have always established well for me. 

30/03/2014 at 11:46

Tomatoes up the trellis are a great idea - you could just reach out from your chair and pick your lunch.  Buy plants from a nursery  - it's a bit late to start sowing seeds now, IMO, and it's a bit of a faff.  Choose two or three interesting varieties - maybe of different colours.  They'll need pinching out, tying in and feeding but that's not hard to do.

Maybe runner beans too - they can be sown soon and some varieties have beautiful flowers as well as yummy beans.

Both will need rich soil.

Honeysuckle will smell wonderful on a summer evening!

31/03/2014 at 11:06

If I can throw in a little comment about your fire pit.

I have a fire box which is actually much better than a fire pit and worth looking out for. Mine is an old tool chest that I got on eBay for £26. Its made of steel. Its generally bigger than a chimenea and can be used to clear our garden waste too. It has a lid on it which I think is the most important thing. The lid closes over the top and seals the fire off, killing it which means we can leave it whenever we want, unlike my mums chimenea - she stays with it until its dead. When it rains its kept dry. It was painted cream, but the paint bubbled off within minutes of the first fire and it is now all rusted and orange with interesting colours on the side.

We got rid of an entire tree with ours so they are really handy.

Just another idea. I love mine.

31/03/2014 at 17:26

Great advice thank you! Will see what's on offer at the local garden centre once the fence is up

The fire box idea sounds great too, although we might have to wait a little while for that as I don't think we're going to pave over the seating area at least for another year (and i'm sure it would scorch the grass otherwise). I'll certainly bare that in mind for next time though!

10/04/2014 at 20:32

I priced up what it would cost for materials for the trellis fence and it came to around £500...then I found a great fencing guy who put this up for £645 including materials so went for it! Definitely a better job that I could have done, really pleased with the final result https://www.flickr.com/photos/13363793@N07/13764770413/sizes/l/

10/04/2014 at 22:39

Wow, that trellis fence looks great. You've done very well on the design of your garden.

email image
21 to 28 of 28 messages