London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
8 messages
06/04/2013 at 08:43
Hi All, We have a south facing terraced house with a concreted over front garden that is about 4x2m. My cunning plan was to make this a low maintenance area using 3 pale terracotta containers in different sizes. The little one has that black strappy nigera grass, the middle one has some tufty blue grass in it, about 10 inches high, and both are thriving. Four years later they still look very modern, cool and minimal, if I may say so... But then we come to pot no 3. It is about 18 inches across, and I have twice gone for interestingly coloured phormiums that were supposed to be 2x2 feet and fully hardy. Pah! Both died off over winter, within 2 years of planting. Do you have any suggestions for a single plant I could use? Ideally it would have a final height of 2x2 and have interesting year round foliage that would coordinate in a contrasty way with the other black and silvery grasses in the other tubs. Thank you!
06/04/2013 at 09:35

..a bit of a tall order I think, something 2 x 2, hardy and year round interest, but I shall give you two that I grow and see if you might be interested in these.

Choysia 'Goldfingers'.  This small shrub is evergreen, quite a bright plant, with yellow leaves and scented white flowers in summer.  It has proved exceptionally hardy for me, out in all weathers in a container, suffered continued freezing, snow drifts, the lot, for the past 3 hard winters.  I live in cold east Anglia..  The tips get a little burnt and dry but it soon recovers. As an added bonus it's pretty drought tolerant too but welcomes a good drink with some food as they all do...

Fargesia mureliae 'Simba' - this dwarf bamboo type grass - non invasive - will live happily in a container for many years.  Mine has been in one for at leat 4 years now without repotting and like the one above has suffered all the extremes including freezing wind.  It is evergreen but like a lot of grasses/bamboos can look a bit 'deciduous' and a a little 'tatty' at the worst times but will soon recover [providing the owner does not fret], and green up again.

I love both these plants and wouldn't be without them for containers.  See what you think. 

06/04/2013 at 10:52

Fargesia mureliae 'Simba - that's the one - I was going to suggest it but was trying desperately to remember it's name - it'd be great as long as it doesn't bake in too much strong sunlight. 

06/04/2013 at 10:59
The hakonechloa grasses might contrast and combine well with your existing planting. H. macro 'All Gold' has an eventual spread and height of about 500 cm, and has the advantage of autumn colour. They are often recommended for container growing.
06/04/2013 at 17:00
Ooh, thank you all.

I have looked your suggestions up, and they all look very interesting. I think the choysia might be 'the one' mainly because of its bushy habit, but I'm off to a big garden centre in a couple of days, and hopefully I'll be able to compare them properly there.

Will let you know!
15/04/2013 at 22:21

You can grow citrus tree .Even if space is limited or climate isn't suitable, it's still possible to enjoy these trees.

15/04/2013 at 22:27

How about Nandina domestica 'Fire power'. Evergreen, flowers, berries and change of leaf colour. I've had a larger version in a pot for years and it has not neede much attention but still thrives.

15/04/2013 at 23:55
Check out carex comans bronze.
It's a vigorous foxy coloured grass some 2 ' high and fountain like to rise and then cascade.
It thrives without attention, likes it hot and dry and most people are attracted to it. Perfectly echoes the grass theme of your other pots. It moves, sways and adds unique colour. One of my favourite grasses.
It won't contrast with your other grasses but it will complement them beautifully. Don't judge comans bronze by the little upright plant you may see in the GC....it will fill out and do,it's thing by mid summer
email image
8 messages