Forum home Garden design
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Advice On Garden Design

http://plans.garden-planner.net/uploads/plan-previews/315908.jpg

This is my plan for my backyard food garden. i am a beginner and i dont know what i am doing some advice would be very beneficial. Any advice on what plants should not be planted togehter? what should be added to make it more productive? I was wondering how much yield each plant will produce, it would really help if you can also provide an estimate amount too. Thank you.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

You have a neighbour who posts on here sometimes known here as The Big Cob - perhaps he'll pop around and give you some advice.  I believe he's also very keen canning veg.

When you say yield - it will depend to a certain extent on how you intend to use your crops - what plans do you have for the Catmint, for example?

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

There seems to be some sort of default mechanism that places people in Tower Hamlets-they could be posting from abroad and early in the morning in the UK- and by the the terminology of "backyard" my guess is that Hamsa is from the USA-perhaps?image-or notimage

Your plan seems to be roses, some herbs and tomatoes -why roses?-this is a garden- talk of yields makes it sound like a farm.

All a bit confusing and not even sure if this is a genuine question.

Post a picture of your "backyard"- that might be more beneficial

Geoff, I think Hamsa is aka The Great Cob aka Plainleaf. Something about the style, or lack of it, rings a bellimage

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

Is that the same person who complained of wild boar eating the lawn?-we never heard from them again either-another one from Tower Hamlets.

It may be genuine- or some kid in his bedroom-there is no way of finding out unless they return-which would seem unlikely-but who knows?

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,066

Well, Plainleaf did first come to notice as Grid Gardener advocating square foot gardening.   Oops, what a give away.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,032

I live in Dordogne, France and I was down for living in Tower Hamlets too. I tried to change it for Dordogne, but it didn't work so I changed it to Cotswolds as that's the type of soil I have. I don't know what everyone else sees, but now I get the Cotswold weather forecast.

Anyway, about the garden. If it's a food garden it seems a bit strange that there are flowers, like roses and catmint in straight lines. Catmint is not an edible herb like peppermint. Vegetables change positions and rotate every year. A 4 foot strip of thyme is a lot but a 4 foot strip of tomatoes is not much.

I would advise buying a good book on growing vegetables and read in during winter. It's too late to plant and sow now anyway.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,032

If someone from Tower Hamlets complained about wild boar digging up the lawn then I expect they really lived in Dordogne!

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
    He crops up elsewhere too attempting to incite discord , a little tedious, he must have a very boring time of it.

Have just looked at Le Hibou's profile who posted from France the other day-also says lives in Tower Hamlets as does Busy-Lizzie- when that is not the case so it would seem to be the default location and the system doesn't recognise overseas locations

Anyway that goes away from the subject- so lets see if Hamsa comes back.

May be genuine-maybe troll

• Im not trolling i seriously was just asking for advice. no need to be judgemental!