Forum home Garden design
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Any ideas

Hi there

we have recently bought a lovely house, the only downside is the 'garden'.... It's tiny (10ftx18ft). We have patio doors out onto the space and at the moment a mixture of concrete and shingle. There is a wall on either side and a horrible old fence at the end. I'd love to have a city retreat where we can enjoy a glass of wine and relax. Any ideas?

Many thanks

• Peanuts3Peanuts3 Posts: 759

Are you watching Chelsea flower show, might be some ideas on that. I'd have climbers going up the walls, climbing roses, jasmine, honeysuckle, so when you sit outside with that glass of wine you get a lovely smell.  

decking, astroturf, there's a great range of slabs, depending on budget.  If you have tile in your kitchen use the same tile for outside and it makes the space carry through to make it feel like an extra room maybe ?

I'm a complete novice, so I'm sure there will be lots of other people with ideas, just my initial thoughts.  Good luck. ! 

• hogweedhogweed Posts: 4,053

I would think about a raised bed along one of the short walls with the best aspect. That would give you extra seating as well. Lots of scented climbers on the other walls. Replace the fence with something that is a bit more attractive. Paint the walls a light bright colour, and the fence. How high are the walls? Perhaps replace the concrete with some nice large attractive paving stones.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • PerkiPerki Posts: 2,527

Hi i would break the garden into 2 sections if possible - patio door area then block the other 2/3 of the garden off with a raised bed/hedge/archway with a few gaps just so you can see a bit but not enough, this will entice you into the garden, add path down the middle,  a bit a lighting down the sides would look nice.   i would add some height to the garden with varies small/medium trees just a few not to many, it will make the garden feel big than it actually is. 

• Dee 7Dee 7 Posts: 2

Some great ideas there - thank you all.

i like the idea about making the walls lighter and having high boarders - I was considering large pots rather than bedding so the high boarder could work. The tips for the types of plants are great too, thank you image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Dee, I have a copy of the Small Garden Handbook which came free with the Gardener's World Magazine - if you're happy to let me have your address (do it by the Private Message system) then I'll pop it in the post to you. image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.