London (change)
Today 17°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 10°C
19 messages
18/07/2013 at 12:07

Hi, 

I have just had 16 leylandiis removed from my garden (they had died and were blocking light)

I am now after a couple of tall trees to replace the leylandiis for privacy. Can anyone suggest anything. They would ideally need to grow the height of the house!

I would really appreciate any advice.  Thanks

18/07/2013 at 12:46

what kind of soil - acid etc - and how much sun do you want to keep - some trees are denser than others.

18/07/2013 at 13:09

Sounds familiar, amerie2, I did the same. I planted a golden ash, still waiting for its 'quick growth', patience is needed but you can buy ready grown huge trees as well. It depends how much space you want to fill and how much attention you want to give it, a pleache'd tree would leave space for planting underneath.

18/07/2013 at 13:29

waterbutts- we will be putting down rubble to level the ground and new soil so not sure of the soil type at the moment. we are completely renovating the garden area.

MrsGarden  - Thankyou for your advice i am completely clueless at this stage it is my first house. I will look into the trees you have suggested. Do you know of any places online that sell established trees? B&Q and the local garden center appear to be expensive with not a great deal of choice!

18/07/2013 at 13:49

To be honest I wouldn't go for a very big tree from a garden centre. Yes they are big to start  with but they have been in a pot for a long time before you buy them and have sort of shut down due to the lack of space for their roots. They can  take a long time to realise that they are no longer in a pot and buying a smaller younger tree can work out faster in the end.

How far will the trees be from your house foundations? Some are a nightmare if they get into either the foundations or the drainage system.

If you have loads of room you could go for something both big and useful such as a walnut, sweet cherry or sweet chestnut.

18/07/2013 at 20:23

Hi waterbutts thankyou for your advice it is really helpful. Where would you suggest to buy trees from then. Internet sites is it.???

18/07/2013 at 21:35

Hi if I was you I would buy bare root Fagus sylvatica or even better Carpinus betulus which will keep its leaves all year, but you can’t buy until the winter. The best place to get them is www.hedgesdirect.co.uk unless you can find a local nursery.

Bare root are smaller than potted but will establish faster and grow quicker as long as they are pruned correctly.

18/07/2013 at 22:28

I would go to a garden centre and pick the one you want - a good garden centre will order one for you if they don't have the type that you want.  Buying online is like buying a pig in a poke. You can't see if the tree is a good shape for the space you have and online sites are prone to delivering wrong varieties/ broken items etc (or maybe I've just been unlucky!)

I would buy one that is the sort of size that you can just about pick up in its pot - about 7 to 8 feet tall.

18/07/2013 at 22:58

Do you want deciduous or evergreen? Deciduous will lose it's leaves in winter so no privacy. Beech trees (Fagus sylvatica) keep their leaves, although brown, long into winter although they are deciduous.

19/07/2013 at 00:58

Beech will keep its leaves when at hedge height.  Beech trees lose all their leaves in winter.

Yew and holly are nice, but holly is slow growing.

19/07/2013 at 10:05

Consider whether you need as much privacy in the winter when you will be using less of the garden - then you have a greater choice. 

My tip would be silver birch: although deciduous it is fairly fast growing + you get the lovely bark + many different species readily available.

19/07/2013 at 10:59

yes we will need privacy all year round we are really overlooked so i would need something to grow fast. Thankyou for your advice i will look into silver birch Simonkeating.

19/07/2013 at 11:11

You can do it yourself, too. I planted a root cutting from the cherry tree in my former neighbour's garden - the roots surfaced in my lawn and sprouted when scraped by the lawnmower - 15 years ago, when it was a skinny twig, at the east end of the garden. Now it's the height of a two-storey house, shades the garden in the morning and provides glorious blossom, privacy (as well as lots of cherries for both me and the wildlife) in a hot summer and good architectural form even in winter.

For faster growth, especially height and lovely blossom, try acacia: sometimes mis-sold as mimosa. Mine rivalled the cherry tree's height in half the time, even after being grown in a pot for several years.

19/07/2013 at 11:33

we have false accacia's in our garden, (robinia pseudoacacia) and while they do grow quickly, they are a nightmare for suckers and are quite invasive. not one to reccomend unless you can get a dwarfy variety.

19/07/2013 at 22:41

Will I be ok planting established trees next to the roots and stumps of the old leylandiis? Or will I have to have the stpumps removed? 

19/07/2013 at 23:45

If you can get the roots out so much the better. When we moved in here there were over 20 leylandii trees each about 15 feet to 20 feet high. We cut them about 3 foot off the ground, trimmed off the wispy bits and dug around the stem in about a 3 foot diameter, chopping through roots with an axe as we met them. Their roots are surprisingly easy to cut and not too numerous or too deep. By keeping a long bit of trunk you can use it as a handle to rock the roots loose.

We are well into our 60s and didn't find it too taxing. Didn't do them all in a day though. One a week. Stored for a year the timber burns beautifully in a log burner.

28/07/2013 at 15:42

Yew ..though not the fastest grower at first, once established gets going nicely, a doddle to shape and prune and Ideal for the "privacy sensitive" as Yew is an evergreen. Re the old trees surley it would be best to remove as much of the old root system of your leylandii as possible to give the newcomer the best possible start..If patience is an issue and you buy a tallish tree to get you started (try Hillers near Winchester) I would suggest subterranean guy ropes or wires to support the tree until it's root system is established.

28/07/2013 at 18:06

Barcham is a well reputed supplier of established trees. Personally, for such a long term investment, I would prefer to go and visit them and choose the individual trees myself. They are located at Eye Hill Drove, Cambridgeshire, CB7 5XF. Perhaps turn it into a weekend away?

http://www.barcham.co.uk

28/07/2013 at 18:21

Here is the RHS site listing UK nurseries that sell trees. There is bound to be one near you.

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/rhsplantfinder/nurseryfinder2.asp?txtNurs=&txtcode=&d1=0&txtspec=fl&Search=Search

email image
19 messages