London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 26°C / 15°C
5 messages
20/07/2013 at 09:14

i do not have a garden but i have a large yard approx 100ftx30ft in it there are a lot of nettles, dock leaves & wild rose trees that have grown through cracks in the concrete. i would like to put raised beds round the edge of the yard, but to do this i would have to remove some of the dock leaves & wild rose trees.with them being in concrete i cannot dig them out.being new to gardening i have no idea what to do.can anyone please give me some ideas.thankyou.

20/07/2013 at 11:21

Get a strong pair of secateurs and cut down the wild rses and the docks. Paint with a good weedkiller. Wait until you are sure that they are dead before doing anything else. The raised beds are going to need drainage or they won't be healthy so you are going to have to smash up the concrete before constructing them. Get a strong man with a sledge hammer....

20/07/2013 at 12:50

Only apply weedkiller to strongly growing leaves.  If you cut down the docks you will have to wait until they start growing again.  For now, make sure you remove all the flowering stalks.  Nettles are easy to pull up, but do not put in the compost heap if they are mature.

20/07/2013 at 14:32

Spray everything with Glyphosate first, it needs leaves to absorb it. You will never get the roots out of the concrete by hand. When you pull up a nettle there is often a satisfying length of root on it, but a lot more will have been left behind.

22/07/2013 at 09:02

thankyou for your replies, i will be getting some glyphosate

email image
5 messages