Forum home Garden design
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Balcony railing pots

Hey everybody. Not sure this is in the right place but I'm looking for some sort of pot to hang from my balcony hand rail. Want to use them to grow tumbling tomatoes. Any links to suitable products would be fantastic!

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

Trying to visualise a balcony hand rail but could you adapt an ordinary wall basket that has a flat back?-perhaps a photo of the spot would help ??

• joslowjoslow Posts: 218

I have some saddle planters on my balcony, the cheapest place to buy them is ebay.

• The saddle planters I have bought wont fit securely and it gets quite windy up here. A hanging basket with a flat side is the sort of thing I am after yeah. Just wondered if there was a bespoke product like it.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

If hanging planters from a balcony be mindful if there are people living below. A planter with holes in the bottom is going to drip water when watered on a daily basis,  particularly during the summer if you are growing tumbling toms.

Purchasing a planter without bottom holes but with a reservoir for water is advisable so if you do have neighbours living below this won't drip.        

• Yes zoomer. Struggling to find anything other than the "greenbo" brand ones
  • Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

Ebay currently have some metal balcony planters which hook over the rail, not sure how secure they would be on a windy day though. 

• Check out website www.hanginggardenuk.com

They sell planters made to order, sounds perfect.