Forum home Garden design
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

bare patch

Hi. I have a shrub boarder running the length of my fence apart from right near the end. Last year I had a plant pot with some flowers in it. This year i'd like to do something a bit more permanent. The depth is probably about a foot/foot and half. The shed door opens towards the plants. all ideas welcome

for some reason this pic didnt load. for ref this is the length of the fence and other plants in it.

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

I would first remove another foot or so of turf-up to the brown paving slab at the bottom of the picture image-try not to do straight lines- but curvesimage-that opens up endless possibilities

Get some sort of support on the fence and grow some climbersimage

How much sun does that side get?image

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

agree. Pave in front of the shed so you can get in and out.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • I like those ideas, problem is if you can see the dog planter near the bottom in front of the first plant. it is covering some sort of manhole/drain thing so i cant expand further out as im not really sure whats under it

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Have a look, flush the loo, if water rushes down it's the sewer. But it will just be pipes, one going in, one going out. Shallow rooted plants won't affect it. 

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

It is just a drain cover as far as I can seem-lift it see how deep it is- drains are not usually anywhere near the surface-it will also give you an idea what direction they run inimage

• cheers ill have to have a look. p.s in the summer it gets sun about half the day

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Make the bed a lovely sinuous curve, leaving space for shed door to open. Lay a hose pipe down to try out various shapes.image

• David 25David 25 Posts: 82

hello, I have had a while off the 'inspirational' gardening after a drop in interest. Most likely due to the fact of planning a wedding and then going back to college whilst in full time work. Anywho that's all done now so I can get back into my gardening. I thought I would post some picture updates just to show what advice I followed image

As you can see, the hebe came back great. I widened the boarders and put a clematis in last year. I have put some flowers (marigolds, and chysamtiums) then a fusica and an azalea. Chysanthims and the senetti have been deadheaded but don't seem to be to keen on producing more flowers.

By the shed is a jasmine. seen below..

it hasn't flowed yet but im hoping it will.

this was the lawn about a week ago after a deep scarify to remove most of the moss. I had used patch magic by the top of the shed but it doesn't go far.

to the right of the shed is where I used the patch magic for about a square meter. Then I bought what I thought was a box of seeds, turned out to be another type of patch magic so I basically did a rectangular line running in front of the shed to the paving. its coming on great with lots of little shoots.

After I did this I then went and bought a load of top soil, sand and seeds and did the rest of the lawn. Im pleased to say its actually working and there is lots of little green shoots coming up everywhere.

So I feel its coming on. Lots of work to do to get It perfect but I think its better than this time last year. I hope you agree.

Cheers

Dave