Forum home Garden design
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

barrel ponds

Hi, anyone made a barrel pond? I have been looking into having a pond but don't want anything that is too much high maintenance and I think this might be the way to go so I would appreciate any hints, tips and pics

Many thanks

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

I once made a " pond" from a central heating header tank. I had a pile of bricks in the corner to get things escape. It worked well and had lots of toads visiting.

Devon.
  • lisealsliseals Posts: 74

That's a good ideaimage 

barrel pond now ordered after doing a lot of looking around... now I need to know if any of you have had much success with solar fountains?

• DaisydayDaisyday Posts: 373

Frogs and other pond creatures like still water. I have had two solar powered fountains and didn't have much success with either of them but then my pond does not get a great deal of sun. Perhaps others on the forum have had more success.  image

so would you recommend just plants to oxygenating the pond then daydaisy? and what about  a light in the pond,  would you say that was a good or bad idea? I do like the idea of my pond attracting frogs (the solar light reviews I have been reading up on have a lot better reviews than the fountains)

• DaisydayDaisyday Posts: 373

Yes, you definitely need a plant to oxygenate the water but you could try to add something nice As well.Frogs love to lie on the plant pots on hot days. If possible put your plants in a plant pot on something raised. You have to use special pond soil or something low grade to fill the pots as a rich soil will make the water green.good luck wth all of this, I hope it works well for you.  image