Forum home Garden design
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Before and After

Thought I'd share the results of some suspicious activities going on in my garden over the last three years. Dunno who's responsible image

Top garden looking very messy

After cleaning up

Courtyard area in planning

And finished

Extra veg plot needed work

Lavender path was last year's idea

Moving veg beds and digging up a forest of raspberries, plus the death of my pampass grass left this bed totally empty for two seasons

Early planting for structure

What it looks like so far

So, you guys got any before and afters? image

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

that's a wonderful transformation Wintersong

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Wintersong, may have to ferret around, see what I can do. I love the way you have designed your garden, it is very chic; bit puzzled by the car at what looks like the far end of the gardenimage But maybe your garden is something like mine; the car gets parked in the middle of the garden as the whole thing is sideways onto the roadimage

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

A lot of thought and hard work has gone in there. Looking brill.

• WintersongWintersong Posts: 2,436

My garden is a 100ft long rectangle with the car port furthest from the house, alongside the veg plot.

I might get round to screening it off at some point although I'm not sure whether trellis fencing would be too much in the little courtyard area. Will have a think on that one image

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Lovely idea and pix Wintersong! Not got many changes to this place yet but here's a few from last house. First one is the unkempt and messy edge of pond

http://i1331.photobucket.com/albums/w595/fairygirl55/9fcfa58f-8af7-42f5-94ff-a30677556abe_zps665b15ba.jpg

Next one is clearing and starting step/seat

http://i1331.photobucket.com/albums/w595/fairygirl55/d5cb07b1-7ff7-4a42-bb1f-40c76248b7b6_zpsbe9ec456.jpg

Finished article

http://i1331.photobucket.com/albums/w595/fairygirl55/26c9a1ca-0f58-41d5-9e83-2cb2559db1c4_zpsafd0d45e.jpg

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • chickychicky Posts: 10,409

Wintersong - it is looking great - you have a great eye.  I'm rubbish at visualising how things will end up - I let OH do the designing and I just fill in with plants after.  My favourite bit is your arch/arbour - what it growing up it?

And FG - your pond was magnificent.  Amazing how a path and a seat can transform the look of an area !

My before and afters are quite boring - before was just grass - lots of it !  I'll keep the "afters" coming bit by bit image

FG, I envy your last garden and the privilege you had to garden there and add your improvements. Truly wonderful designing skills and wow, what will you bring to the new garden? Exciting prospects!

Thanks everyone for the encouraging comments. Looking forward to more Before and Afters, if possible image

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Thanks chick. The other end was the same - all overgrown with heathers, horsetail, grass and moss and with chicken wire holding it together. Nightmare to undo. You couldn't get along the pond edge at all which was a shame. I cleared the other end too so that there was a beach area and you could  get right down to the water properly. 

I've not got much apart from grass here too!

Unless you count the dandelions  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • chickychicky Posts: 10,409

I was using the term "grass" quite loosely.  Its mostly moss, but at least its greenimage

lol