London (change)
Today 21°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
1 to 20 of 123 messages
14/04/2014 at 22:07

Hi All, 

Yesterday, I got 3 Belfast sinks all a bit worse for wear but I have given them a good clean and touched them up with ceramic paint and am hoping to fill them all with plants tomorrow.

One of them I am using as an alpine garden and I just wondered if anyone had ideas for the other 2, I was thinking possibly herbs but OH has told me several times we already have a herb garden (but it's too small!!).

Thanks 

14/04/2014 at 22:48

I still like the idea of a pond  Someone suggested sealant for the cracks and the plug. Worth a go?

14/04/2014 at 23:02

I quite like that idea too Panda, but still uncertain about attracting frogs with the hounds about, not only do I not want them killing wildlife but they are poisonous for dogs 

Ive been googling and they all seem to be filled with pansies or alpine gardens.

14/04/2014 at 23:09

Mini veg garden? Also saw a rather cool themed one with frothy white plants and plates  

14/04/2014 at 23:15

When I googled it came up with an old (2012) thread from on here where someone grew various types of basil in a sink, with one that flowers and attracts butterflies/bees at the back, that is definitely a contender at the moment.....seen as Basil is my favourite herb and I love the smell so much 

Frothy white plants and plates Panda??  Have you been on the bamboo again?? 

14/04/2014 at 23:17

It looked quite good OL  Promise 

Hey there's an idea . . . . bamboo!! 

14/04/2014 at 23:27

I don't think they are deep enough for bamboo, I did notice though that Potty Gardener (I think that is her name) had bamboo in a pot in one of her pics,  it looked really good  My OH wants bamboo so may get some in a pot, it most definitely is not going in the garden!!

14/04/2014 at 23:32

I'm thinking bamboo in a pot too  Great minds 

14/04/2014 at 23:37

I'm now thinking of getting my sis one in a pot as a wedding gift (only part of!). She loves pandas and i am taking her to Edinburgh zoo for her hen night to see the Pandas (hopefully!) You'd get on really well with her Panda 

14/04/2014 at 23:56

She sounds like a top lass OL 

15/04/2014 at 00:11

Oh deary me!  Hey lass, count yourself lucky getting even a single Belfast.  Believe me.  Alpine plant enthusiast would give their right arm fo just one.  You have three, and wait for it.  Have you noticed.  There are a lot of only left armed alpine plant enthusiasts about.  C'mon.  That must deserve a hug!.  No.  Seriously Tracey.  There is so much you can use the sink for.  Yes a tiny herb garden.  However most, use them as alpine minatures. Some how they seem to have been made for the purpose.  What will add to the attraction is, if you coat the sink in tuffa.  This is a cement and sand plus peat mix.   Just like mixing up cement for the garden path etc. It's so easy.  Equal parts, sand. cement and peat.  Plaster this onto the sink.  The same mix will provide porous rocklike amounts for alpine gardening.

15/04/2014 at 00:14

Hi, Tracey, you could grow mint in one, to 'contain' it rather than let it go rampant in the garden. Or make a little rock garden in one, pale blue or white trailing lobelia and saxifraga or corydalis solida,.any other small flowered plants   Pics please Tracey, 

15/04/2014 at 07:50

think i'd go for herbs, maybe lavender... or do a seasonal one, do violas dwarf tulips and trailing ivy now, then leave ivy and do different pelargonums ivy, angel, and lbelia in summer,haven't got as far as thinking what to do for autumn yet!

15/04/2014 at 08:49

Thanks everyone, I have one at the front which I the will be seasonal,mine by the back door is either mint, basil or lavender...... I can't decide! The one by the veg patch will be alpine definitely.  Will try and get them planted up today and post pics later 

15/04/2014 at 21:30

I liberated 2 from my mothers back yard last year, the shallow one is going to be an alpine garden in the new acer/Japanese inspired garden, but I turned the deep one into a bog garden, filled mainly with carnivorous plants.

15/04/2014 at 21:38

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/42478.jpg?width=276&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/42479.jpg?width=276&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/42480.jpg?width=276&height=350&mode=max

For anyone that hasn't seen them on the garden pics thread, here they are 

The top one is at the front of the house, when my annual bedding plants are ready I will replace the Primulas with those, I just wanted a bit of colour for now. At the front are geranium and I can't remember the other one!!  Both trailing though so they will go down the side.

The middle one has a lavender in and 2 geranium (which looked sad with no home and may yet get moved).  It looks a bit empty as I have sown spinach at the front and may well yet put a chilli plant or 2 in, I forgot about my chillies when asking for suggestions (sorry Stacey!)

The bottom one is my attempt at an alpine garden but I think this will develop over time, I still need to put some more gravel on the top and the shadows are from my veg patch fencing.

15/04/2014 at 21:57

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/42481.jpg?width=329&height=350&mode=max

If you want a different look for one of the sinks, here is a tufa trough, over time the outside weathers and you get a great effect to show off alpines.

This is my better half's handywork, she loves alpines and we have them dotted all round the garden.

15/04/2014 at 22:00

That looks lovely, I'm not very good at being artistic so for now have taken the easy option 

16/04/2014 at 08:28

ol they're lovely i particularly like the 3rd one are theypinks?

16/04/2014 at 09:51

They are  My OH. Likes them so I got some, I've never been a huge fan but they do look pretty  Thanks Louise x

1 to 20 of 123 messages