Forum home Garden design
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Belfast Sink Ideas

Hi All, 

Yesterday, I got 3 Belfast sinks all a bit worse for wear but I have given them a good clean and touched them up with ceramic paint and am hoping to fill them all with plants tomorrow.

One of them I am using as an alpine garden and I just wondered if anyone had ideas for the other 2, I was thinking possibly herbs but OH has told me several times we already have a herb garden (but it's too small!!).

Thanks image

• 4thPanda4thPanda Posts: 4,145

I still like the idea of a pond image Someone suggested sealant for the cracks and the plug. Worth a go?

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

I quite like that idea too Panda, but still uncertain about attracting frogs with the hounds about, not only do I not want them killing wildlife but they are poisonous for dogs image

Ive been googling and they all seem to be filled with pansies or alpine gardens.

Mini veg garden? Also saw a rather cool themed one with frothy white plants and plates image 

When I googled it came up with an old (2012) thread from on here where someone grew various types of basil in a sink, with one that flowers and attracts butterflies/bees at the back, that is definitely a contender at the moment.....seen as Basil is my favourite herb and I love the smell so much image

Frothy white plants and plates Panda??  Have you been on the bamboo again?? image

It looked quite good OL image Promise image

Hey there's an idea . . . . bamboo!! image

I don't think they are deep enough for bamboo, I did notice though that Potty Gardener (I think that is her name) had bamboo in a pot in one of her pics,  it looked really good image My OH wants bamboo so may get some in a pot, it most definitely is not going in the garden!!

I'm thinking bamboo in a pot too image Great minds image

I'm now thinking of getting my sis one in a pot as a wedding gift (only part of!). She loves pandas and i am taking her to Edinburgh zoo for her hen night to see the Pandas (hopefully!) You'd get on really well with her Panda image

She sounds like a top lass OL image

• star gaze lilystar gaze lily Posts: 17,654

Hi, Tracey, you could grow mint in one, to 'contain' it rather than let it go rampant in the garden. Or make a little rock garden in one, pale blue or white trailing lobelia and saxifraga or corydalis solida,.any other small flowered plants   Pics please Tracey, image