Forum home Garden design
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Best Grasses for screening?

Hi everyone, just wondering what are the best tall grasses for screening and structure that would what work well with Rudbeckia herbstsonne?  I don't need huge amounts of screening,just want to screen off a small seating area.  I was thinking of using buddleja Santana but the 3 plants I have are tiny, and so it will be a couple of years before they come into their own. 

I bought a golden stem bamboo, then realised its doesn't like full sun.So that's gone somewhere else. 

Please help, my pocket (as well as my head) is hurting and I cannot afford to make any more mistakes. image  

• CeresCeres Posts: 2,697
    Many grasses are easy to grow from seed and the variety is huge but it rather depends how tall you want them to grow. Varieties of stipa and carex are quite fast growing and will give you good clumps of grass in one season and will look good over the winter months. Miscanthus sinensis will more likely match the height of your rudbeckias. https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/search-results?form-mode=false&query=miscanthus+sinensis
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

you beat me to it Ceres, How tall do you need them to be?

Devon.
  • CaralCaral Posts: 301

Thanks, I need them to be around 6 ft minimum but 8ft would be ideal.

Oooh, just googling all the grasses mentioned and Calamagrostis 'Karl Foerster'  is a lovely looking grass.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

Miscanthus sacchariflorus might do the trick.

Devon.

Thanks Hosta, I take a look. 

Thanks Verdun,they are gorgeous. This is from the Telegraph....

"The bluer-toned leaves of 'Heavy Metal' can be used with tall yellow daisies (such as Rudbeckia laciniata 'Herbstonne')"

Decisions, decisions. Typical novice gardener, I want them all!  image 

Thanks for all your help, decided to go with Ceres suggestion and chose Miscanthus sinensis 'Silberfeder', to match the height of my 8ft rudbeckia.

Absolutely thrilled to find my local nursery had some really big ones in 5 litres pots at just 7.99 a throw! One very happy chicky. Cannot wait for the rain to stop to get them  planted up!  image

Thanks again for all the wonderful suggestions, I am now even thinking about grasses for the front of the new bed too.