London (change)
Today 9°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 12°C
12 messages
19/04/2013 at 12:27
I have inherited a flower border, the soil of which is kept in place by log roll edging. This has now rotted and needs replacing, but it is very tricky to install, even for our excellent gardener. Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced alternative that is easy to fit, but does not look cheap and will not rot? A tall order, I know!
20/04/2013 at 08:34

We used block paving bricks bedded in with sand. They're fairly firm and look pretty smart. They were less than 40p each, and you can choose which way up/what height  you want.

20/04/2013 at 09:33

Are they the same as housebuilding bricks? You can use them, they come in different colours - but I think you can get special ones that are more frost proof for gardens.

20/04/2013 at 10:55
That is exceedingly helpful, thank you, a really good idea. You say "pretty firm" that would be my only concern. They seem to be 200x100mm. We need an edging that is at least 13cm tall, to hold in the soil. How far into the ground would you need to bed them, and how easy is it to knock individual blocks out of position?
20/04/2013 at 12:03
Oh yes, and I should have said the border isnnot exactly straight, but curves slightly!
20/04/2013 at 12:28

We found concrete versions of log roll a few years ago and used it to edge new paths we made in a woodland corner but it wasn't easy and cretainly couldn't be curved.  I'm about to make  a new path through some shrubs where the dogs have trampled and barged their way and will use treated wooden planks screwed to small vertical posts banged in at intervals. 

I can cut the wood at angles to make the bends I will need but won't get real curves.  However, once the irregular slabs have gone in and been filled around with chipped bark and the plants have spilled over the edges it will look softer and curvy.

21/04/2013 at 09:56

THey're like normal bricks but without the holes. We have some on their ends, not that deep, but they're tight enough that when I gave the lawn a good soaking very little seeped through into the empty bed the other side. The other border, they're laid flat with a curve, I'll post a photo if you like. We'll be using the ones on their ends to hold in a 'deep bed' for veg.

21/04/2013 at 10:20
Yes, I know what they are like, have had them on a driveway.

That's really helpful. That's put my mind at rest.

Very many thanks.
24/04/2013 at 19:14

If the curve is only slight you could use inch-thick tanalised board screwed to 2-inch square oak pegs.

26/04/2013 at 14:46

My garden is all paths and borders (no lawn), all with curved edges, and all edged with logroll. I have just pulled up and replaced it for the same reason. I looked for an alternative but couldn't find anything that didn't look horribly artificial or could be made to curve successfully. I'm resigned to do it all again in 5 years time!

26/04/2013 at 15:08

Use log roll again but back it with cheaper wood such as old pallet wood or wood from the likes of B&Q etc. That way you only ever need to change the cheap wood at the back every 5-10 years and the logs stay looking good.

26/04/2013 at 15:33

email image
12 messages