Forum home Garden design
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Box bench

We have a bench in the garden that was made from a recycled metal frame, not the most attractive, but free.

ive under planted it with box. The theory being that when they are grown, I can clip them back to give the illusion the the bench seat sits directly on the box, so the frame will be hidden. If that makes sense.

can anybody see any potential issues? The bench faces South.

• hogweedhogweed Posts: 4,053

I think you need a couple at each side as well. I would grow the box on for a few years yet without the bench there and only move the bench back when they are bench height.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Daryl2Daryl2 Posts: 452

If the planks are not secured to the frame yet, I would take them off when you are not actually sitting there. This will let more light in to the top of the plants and help them to grow more strongly and evenly. At the moment I think they will struggle to grow well and may well die off at the top and back leaving you with straggly front growth straining to reach the light. 

Nice idea though - it will look great if you can keep the plants strong, compact and healthy. 

• Dave2356Dave2356 Posts: 42

It gets light through most of the day, but the whole bench can be lifted off. I'll keep an eye on its growth

thanks for the advice

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

I'd agree with the others about taking the top off Dave. Perhaps you could have planted then a little further forward too. A couple nearer the ends will help.

I think it'll make a nice feature  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...

I have a couple of spares

The bench is sitting a little farther forward than it will eventually be to give the climbers some time to establish themselves on the French before I take the bamboo supports away