Forum home Garden design
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Breathing life into an old exterior brick wall

I've knocked down and old brick shed at the back of the garden and it has left me with an exposed, rather unnattractive brick wall (with an overhang from the old roof).

I'd like to clad it but wondered if anyone had amazing ideas. My first thought was simple timber cladding but I think it would be great to use a range of cheap materials that would look great but would also be useful.

I've attached a pic (before the decking e.t.c) and as you can see it's a rather odd space.

Thanks

Simon

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Render's a great solution I think. If you can plant directly into the ground in front of it, it can make a really good feature especially with a bit of subtle lighting. If not, you can use pots for plants and ring the changes throughout the seasons. Depending on the aspect and what else you have in the immediate area of course. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  •  You could try using a pressure washer to bring up the brick work then Repoint the existing brick work, then I would add guttering under the overhang and link it into a water butt to save all the rain water. You could use the area to have a small lean to green house. As Pansyface  and Fairygirl have mentioned, you could render it instead if you used cladding you would find that it would cut down the space available slightly

Whatever you decide enjoy the transformation

Jolly Gary

• paulk2paulk2 Posts: 184

As Fairygirl says, it depends on the aspect: if the wall is facing North or is in deep shade, then that will limit what you can plant successfully. If that is the case, it might be better to make a seating area which would be cool in summer and the wall could be an excellent backdrop for many things: I recently came across a garden picture where someone had installed a reclaimed fireplace outside! You could make the wall good with mortar and then paint it using exterior masonry paint.

Have fun!

Cheers Paul.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Can you give us a few more pix and some more info Simon? Size of the whole area, view from the area and aspect being the most important ones. It will help with more ideas and suggestions for your space image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • dominomandominoman Posts: 150

I think that old brick is beautiful.  It would be sad to cover it in render or cladding.

Try cleaning it up with a pressure washer (careful not to blast out all the pointing). 

You could then leave it as is with bare brick, or you could go for a rustic garden wall look by removing one or two bricks and inserting wall-grown plants, or by growing climbing roses or an espalier apple against it.

• Thanks everyone - just got back from hols so will be cracking on with this. The area is quite a sun trap and I wondered what potted plants would be best suited to the area?

Thanks again for your time

• Thanks for the idea - dominoman what plants would be best suited to growing in a wall space?