London (change)
Today 13°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 9°C
1 to 20 of 25 messages
15/10/2012 at 12:18

Hi,

I am a Part 1 RIBA architecture graduate and I recently helped my mother with some design ideas for redesigning her garden.  The landscape contractors who took on the job mentioned that I had done a very good job in redesiging a difficult space.

This led me to think how much I enjoy nature, creating habitats for wildlife and outdoor spaces.  I am now thinking about a career in garden design but I'm not sure what course would be best for me!   As an architectural graduate I already have skills in CAD, presentation and spatial design but I have very little knowledge of horticulture.  I used to work in marketing too, so I am experienced in business and working with clients.  

Any help, advise or course/college recommendations are very welcome.

Kentish Maid

15/10/2012 at 12:19

Why not start with looking at the Royal Horticultural Society website as they do plenty of courses and recommend others.  www.rhs.org.uk

15/10/2012 at 12:21

I seem to remember this has come up in the past-perhaps this might help?

http://www.rhs.org.uk/Courses/Careers

15/10/2012 at 12:33

Muddyfork thank you for replying. Amongst others I have already looked at the rhs website but it seems I do not fit into a specific study route. I was told by a college that unless I do the BSc in Garden Design I cannot legally be recognised as a Garden Designer.  I feel I already have the skills and experience to design space and would like to find a course that can help build my knowledge and confidence in plants and knowing how to include this into a garden design.  If anyone can recommend a course that would be great!

15/10/2012 at 12:34

Sotongeoff - Thanks for the link.  I just contacted the rhs careers number but unfortunately they no longer give careers advise anymore - they explain that they're website content is sufficient.  Frustrating!!

15/10/2012 at 12:41

I would contact a local garden design company and ask for their help with work experience and qualifications.

I did the RHS Certificate in Horticulture at Bicton College and it gave me a lot of the skills you are looking for but I would still need to do a garden design course for any official recognition.

I would also love to be a garden designer but the work seems very slim on the ground at the moment . I have also done quite a bit of work with family and friends and like you received plaudits but this seems to count for nothing with any of my local firms. 

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

15/10/2012 at 12:42

I didn't realise that there was something called a "legal Garder Designer".   There must be a governing body that oversees registration so maybe they could help.  Just flick thru our local mag and none of the adverts for garden design give an indication that they are trained or legal. 

15/10/2012 at 12:48

Thanks Christopher2.  It's good to hear about your personal experience of the profession, the course you took and where you studied.  Will keep you posted!

15/10/2012 at 12:49

Good advise Muddyfork - will definietly look into governing body. Thanks!

15/10/2012 at 13:35
Hey, cristopher2. You got my name.!!! How did that,happen? Well, almost! The post earlier was not made by me
15/10/2012 at 13:38
Cristopher2 ....you in cornwall too?
15/10/2012 at 16:10

Hi Christopher I am in Lanivet, what a coincidence, where are you based?

15/10/2012 at 16:44
Hi cristopher2. I'm based in hayle. This is a confusing situation isn't it? One of us will have to change his name. Ideas?
15/10/2012 at 17:21
Christopher2 wrote (see)
Hi cristopher2. I'm based in hayle. This is a confusing situation isn't it? One of us will have to change his name. Ideas?

Well what a pickle-how about a pillow fight

15/10/2012 at 17:26

Hi, Kentish maid - are you based in Kent? I took a RHS Level 2 cert. in Essex through Capel Manor. I would ring Capel Manor and ask about career advice as they are a Horticultural College http://www.capel.ac.uk/

15/10/2012 at 17:43

Christopher2 what a coincidence.

The pillow fight video - very funny. Who won?

16/10/2012 at 14:56

Hi Daintiness - yes I am currently in Kent.  Thanks for the tip about Capel Manor, I will give them a call.  I am also planning on going to Hadlow College open evening next week - so hopefully i'll find out some mor info then.

17/10/2012 at 09:54

Hi to both Cornish Chris'. I am near Land's End - it's good to have other people gardening in Cornwall on the forum... please both keep posting 

19/10/2012 at 00:17

There isn't any such thing as a legal garden designer. If there was then there are an awful lot of illegal designers on this website alone.

Like many talent based careers it is what you can do that matters, not what any piece of paper says. Look out for local free magazines that carry adverts and editorial pieces about local gardens, they can be a good source of leads. You will probaly have to write your own copy for them and take your own photos but they are a good way to get your skills out there.

26/10/2012 at 13:34

Thanks for your advise Steephill!  

1 to 20 of 25 messages