London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 13°C
21 to 27 of 27 messages
10/01/2014 at 15:45

Just been shopping at Barnsdale Gardens. I bought three Cornus, two with red stems and one with yellow; five different Hellebores; and a Sarcococca confusa.  I had a look around the gardens and they were all plants that were looking particularly good in winter. I also got a lovely Hart's Tongue fern with curly edges.

I was also impressed with Arum italicum 'Pictum' and various pulmonarias. Saw a large Euonymus 'Emerald Gaiety' but none for sale. No heathers in evidence.

It's all starting to come together!

10/01/2014 at 15:48

You've got your mojo back 

10/01/2014 at 18:55

Ooo. LandGirl.  Some nice stuff there.  Classy....hellebores!    You will love those. I enjoy every one of mine and I have in excess of 30, 40 ?  I have a double white in front of Cornus aurea right now......white flowers in front of red stems.  What better in winter? Nice red or purple astilbes too, maybe?  I found my yellow stemmed Cornus far more vigorous than the red varieties so it has more room

Getting more plants myself next week.......ain't it exciting ? 

(think you will find heathers will be put on display in couple of weeks or so)

10/01/2014 at 19:02

It is exciting, I had a lovely day. The sun was shining, I wandered round the garden for a hour or so making notes on my little pad, treated myself to lunch in the cafe and then plant shopping. What more could anyone want?

10/01/2014 at 19:27

I arranged that sunny day just for you landgirl.   ,I,have friend's in high places 

10/01/2014 at 19:35

new year blues . think  of long summer  nights having  a glass of wine  staying in the garden     till 11pm then going in to watch  a world cup match  come on england

10/01/2014 at 23:53

Thank you Verdun, it was appreciated! Must take care not to upset you, don't want you sending the floods my way!

Archiepem, that's what winter is for - dreams of what's just around the corner, really.

email image
21 to 27 of 27 messages