Forum home Garden design
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Chelsea photos

ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064
Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
"The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
Plato

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

Wow!! Obelixx, great photos. I feel I've seen more of the gardens than I did on TV when there was an awful lot of people talking to each other, instead of showing the plants and gardens. Thank you, you're a star image

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

..fantastic...thanks so much... I still like the tropical beach garden with hut..and the artisan Japanese garden with all those Acers...

obelixx...if you get a second and it's not too much trouble... could you upload 2 photos for me to this site, from the Grand Pavilion shots... no.s 4 and 5...of the ornamental grasses and the next one of Hosta's.... I would like to try and identify a couple of plants there and I note they are labelled... but cannot zoom in on your photobucket.... be great if you could, but no bother if you can't...

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

Thanks Busy.   I didn't get them all and, as you can see, some intrigued or impressed me more than others so more photos.

For me, the Potters Garden and Topiarists garden are the best of the Artisan gardens and, on the whole, more inventive and also more achievable by we ordinary gardens.  I didn't like the Fresh gardens.

Of the main gardens, the St George's garden grows on me every time I look at the pics again and I could quite happily take home all of the Heros' garden and the planting in the Stoke garden.  Cleve West had lovely plants and combinations but also some I really didn't like and I don't want a desert oasis for a garden.  I found the Best in Show and Daily Telegraph gardens rather sterile and boring.   Don't want those either.

Great day out but I got home on Wednesday evening to find my village had had a humdinger of a hailstorm on Tuesday night which has completely wiped out my 8 huge rhubarb plants, denuded one of my blueberries, scalped and shredded 2 blackcurrants, 3 clematis, all my hostas, some newly planted ligularia, geums and cleomes, fuchsias in hanging baskets, all my newly potted up tomatoes and chillies and other seedlings.    Very dispirited about the whole thing.

"The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Lovely pix obelixx. I agree with you - I liked those two Artisan gardens very much.  I also didn't care for Cleve West's planting, though I normally really like his designs.I like structural gardens, which many don't, as I like a peaceful place, so I did like the winning garden and the Telegraph one - we're all different aren't we!

But it's all about creating something for people to discuss and debate....job done I think image

So sorry about the damage to your own garden. I hope you can get some decent weather to try and repair some of it. We gardeners are always battling the weather in one way or another. It's very disheartening when you would normally  be expecting the garden to burst into life at this time of year.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...

I like structure too but the DT was too neat and controlled and the BiS is too one dimensional for me.   Once the lupins go over there's nothing much left to look at except hard grey stones and the water.  I also really dislike euphorbias.

Really good to see iris sibirica as well as all their bearded sisters, and lots of forms and colours of aquilegias, verbascums, astrantias, foxgloves and alliums and lots of lysimachia beaujolais which is gorgeous.

Plato
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

obelixx, I think I must have similar taste to you then.

So sorry about the hailstorm. Heartbreaking, it's happened here before. We had a huge storm on Wednesday too, but not hail, just rain to batter the roses, but someone in a local village died when the roof of her barn caved in and several thousand homes were without electricity in Dordogne.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • 4thPanda4thPanda Posts: 4,145

Fabulous photos, thanks for sharing image

Plato
  • SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

hi obellixx....thanks for much, yes they were the ones I wanted but unfortunately I still cannot zoom in on them, but not to worry....I was interested in a couple of plants and wanted to read the labels... those Hosta's look gorgeous don't they...? and I'm not a lover of them normally.

...sorry to hear about your garden..sounds like a tornado of sorts ripped through it... very best wishes...

Cracked it now but can't turn the one on its side.

Plato