Forum home Garden design
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Cherry Laurel Privacy Hedge - Thoughts

Hi, I am after some tips on how I can create some privacy in my new build garden. When we moved in, the building company provided the 3 trees as pictured, but I am after a better way to do this. 

I am thinking Cherry Laurel because it's evergreen and fairly cheap. 

What are your thoughts? The current fence is 1.8m and don't really want to raise this and not sure if we are allowed. We do like our neighbours but think a hedge would benefit everyone. It's approx 7m width. 

If money was no object I would opt for pleached trees but they seem expensive. 

Thanks

Last edited: 22 January 2017 19:05:53

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

you're better off with what you've got and some interesting plant in a wide border created in front of the fence. Cherry laurel (assuming Prunus laurocerasus) is huge in all dimensions and boring.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • What sort of plants would you suggest there? Thanks

• How far away are the trees from the fence?  If within 2m I would create a border all along that back fence and add some shrubs between the trees.  There are many which will grow large and give some sreening between the trees.  The trees will also grow better if in a border rather than with grass at their base.  Some flowering shubs to consider would be viburnum, photinia, philadelphus, pyracantha, mahonia and eleagnus.  Some of those are evergreen.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,340

I hate Laurel personally.
    When I moved here 30yrs ago there was a beautiful cotoneaster hedge running for about 100ft between me and the neighbours. The neighbours wanted more privacy (prior to me moving here) so planted a laurel hedge. That was 30yrs ago.
    We're the very best of friends, but I hate their laurel hedge. The trunks are now about 10" thick and bursting through the fence and many branches are 4" thick and needs endless hard pruning - it's a hideous hedge in all respects - and the leaves release cyanide when crushed.
    What's left of the original cotoneaster does its best, I'm not sure of the name, but it grow to bout 7-8ft.
    It retains some leaves in winter so provides good screening all year. It has flowers in the spring, lovely autumn foliage and bright red berries for the birds in winter, and all it needs is an occasional pruning every year or so - unlike the laurel which grows at a silly rate.

Just my thoughts..

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Thanks for the replies. The trees are about 1.5m from the fence. Sounds like I should avoid the Laurel.