Forum home Garden design
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

circular formal raised bed what centre piece

Hi got a number of buxus plants and thinking of this layout

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-KYxKA92dePA/UXv3ODgyltI/AAAAAAAACVs/O4HpXDIAI4o/s640/100_1984.JPG

What would you put in the centre a conifer was suggested but i felt maybe a standard rose or a weeping willow or maybe a cherry tree.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,065

or an acer griseum or a Tibetan cherry for its their wonderful form and bark.   An obelisk with a clematis or rambling rose.   A statue on a plinth or a large pot on a plinth with seasonal planting - skimmia an divies for winetr, bulbs for spring, whatever you fancy for summer.   Depends on available time and budget.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

Not a weeping willow. Far, far too big.

What about a standard (not a rose) I've just planted a standard holly 'Blue Angel' that has loads of berries and would complement your box.http://www.jparkers.co.uk/plant-0001847/holly-blue-angel/

You do need something to add height, 

As it is such a formal bed I can't help feeling that a weeping tree would make it more 'untidy' and less formal

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Promise me you won't use a weeping willow, or one of those pink/white/ green willows

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • blackestblackest Posts: 623

ok willow is out but i'm up for more suggestions the bed is about 12 feet in diameter, think its quite hard to be informal with the buxus.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Blackest - stick with formal if you're having the box cones. Think Italian - a  standard bay would be the answer but it would need protection in winter so a holly is a great alternative.

Agree with  nut- those pink/white/green willows ....image

But it's your garden remember and it depends what you like and how much time you have to maintain it.image

Are you going to render the retaining wall blackest?

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • happymarionhappymarion Posts: 4,591

I would lighten the formality with an amelanchier.  I will post a picture of the one in blossom in the Bristol Univ. Botanic Garden this week and a close-up of its blossom which gives lovely little edible fruit in the autumn when the colour of the leaves is spectacular.

Wants to go reaaaaaaly formal?  A cypress! With some care (and I´ve seen it),

you can alternate buxus with some flowering shrubs like potentilla, geum, azaleas...

Or low annuals (to highlight the buxus): aubrieta, snow-in-summer, basket of gold...

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

I'd go with an obelisk then you can grow climbers through it.  If the plants your try don't suit, easy enough to whip them out and plant different ones.  The cypress idea would look impressive, too.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.