Forum home Garden design
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Clearing an overgrown garden

Hi we just bough a piece of land adjacent to our garden - additional 300m2 of land.  It was a building plot, but lost its planning permission.  Looking at reintegrating it our land.  Wondering how long it will to take to clear and is this a DIY job, if we hire a mini digger.  What else do we need.  I will try and post some pictures when i have worked out how this site works.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Hi Alan image  How exciting - a BBQ with lots of gardening friends with mattocks might  be a start!!! image  I don't have a mattock image

Some pics would be a good idea - to post pics click on the green tree icon .. etc etc - you know that .............

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• hogweedhogweed Posts: 4,053

Is it just plant growth you need to clear or is it inorganic stuff?

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,923

im assuming that its overgrown with weeds/brambles etc. and not just a really overgrown old garden?

so strim everything to the ground and apply weed killer (expensive for 300m2 but worth it in the long run)

then, after its all died back, get the minidigger in to remove anything inorganic (and any bramble roots etc. plus you could maybe dig a pond with it?

then you can start designing your new garden with a clean slate!

• LilydotwinLilydotwin Posts: 30

Grow potatoes to start with. They open up the ground wonderfully and their foliage shades the annual weedlings so they don't set seed as much. You need to have removed the pernicious stuff first eg brambles, bindweed, nettles.