Went to 2 garden centres but couldn't get any suitable plants. So I had to re think my plan!
The lid that usually sits on top of the chimmney when it's not in use, was placed INSIDE the chimmney and held up with a piece of aluminiun tube. (see the first photo )
It was a fiddly job and made easier by turning the chimmney upside down, ( see the second photo ) . I had to cut a piece of tube to clear the lids knob. This doesn't need to be a tight fit, as a loose fit gives a gap around the lid to act as a drain hole. The top of the chimmney is now a self contained plant pot!
I drilled 3 large holes in the base of the chimmney ( I did this first by the way)! Then sprayed the tube with matt black paint to disguise it. Then filled the base with gritty compost.
A House leek went into the base and a different type of Houseleek went into the top - this one was in a pot and overflowing so I took care to keep the over flowing effect when planted in the top.
Anyway......... if you haven't understood a word, here's the finished planter ...........!