London (change)
Today 21°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 12°C
41 to 60 of 69 messages
06/06/2013 at 21:22

Fairy G, in principle I agree with you about pink and yellow together but there is a wonderful painting by Fragonard where the parasol is, I think pink and the dress is yellow and to my astonishment it not only works but it really sings. I know what you mean about Ikea colours

06/06/2013 at 21:26

Blueboots, Turquoise flowers; years ago at a friend's house they had a 'Singapore orchid' which was turquoise. I don't know if it was dyed or sprayed (in the Carribean it is quite normal to spray flowers to match other stuff for a wedding) and have never seen it since.

06/06/2013 at 23:24

I tend to go for pastel colours with splashes of orange and purple. I have an oriental poppy which is an orangey red and purple toadflax. I do have one deep pink single peony with a yellow centre (which has normally flowered by now) the bees and hover flies just love them. 

06/06/2013 at 23:42

..this little Halimium has such clear lemon yellow flowers, it doesn't really need this Geranium which has muscled in... I might move that one later...

..Halimium's shed all their flowers the same day - about 5pm... next day all fresh...if you work 9-5 you'll miss the lot...

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/24968.jpg?width=281&height=350&mode=max

06/06/2013 at 23:47

Wintersong..have you come up with any ideas for under your honeysuckle..you could try periwinkles, they love semi shade and are evergreen...downside they can spread a bit but come in pretty shades of blue and white.

07/06/2013 at 07:22

Fairygirl, I have a "hot" border with yellows, reds, oranges and bought a red phlox to add to it. Horrors!!... it turned out to be pink and jars very much. But haven't the heart to move it.

Salino, I love that magenta with dark eye geranium, can I have it? Seriously it's a favourite...is it psilostenum... how on earth do you say that??

07/06/2013 at 07:42
Fairygirl wrote (see)

Hate pink and yellow together- one of the first things I did here was remove the pink flowering spirea with the yellowy/gold foliage.Yuk!

omg. That's funny because that shrub is one of my most treasured in the garden. I adore the foliage and yes yellows and pinks together can be demanding on the eye, I used to steer clear of them but found that only the strong pinks and yellows actually clash in my eye. So you are right, when subtly is called for to tame the beasts 

07/06/2013 at 07:47
Crystal tips wrote (see)

Wintersong..have you come up with any ideas for under your honeysuckle..you could try periwinkles, they love semi shade and are evergreen...downside they can spread a bit but come in pretty shades of blue and white.

No, I don't want the trouble of periwinkle to be honest, but I did purchase a Pieris Carnaval yesterday although I'm still undecided if it will live under the honeysuckle because it needs to stay in a pot, not my ground. but I just coundn't resist, how silly am I?

07/06/2013 at 07:55

fairygirl said she doesnt like the yellow foliage spirea and those pink flowers.  I agree to a point....i love the yellow or orange foliage...dependening on variety...but do not allow the flowers to form.  its a very nice foliage shrub.  the flowers spoil that

07/06/2013 at 08:09

WW- Silent pee if you know what I mean... You'd probably like 'Anne Folkard' WW- it's foliage is more limey than yellow and it's my fave geranium. Very black centres and veining. There's a tiny rockery one called 'Ballerina' which is a bit lighter too.

Wintersong - funny isn't it- we both love Italianate gardens but differ enormously on that shrub!! It's what makes gardening so interesting 

Green is my favourite colour of all.

07/06/2013 at 08:30

FG,It was Christo LLoyd's favourite too, since he loved to grow it through other plants. I grew it next to lavender at it twined nicely in contrast. I love it and grow it in various places in my garden.

07/06/2013 at 09:35

off to google geranium Anne Folkard...

07/06/2013 at 09:42
Jess is in the Garden wrote (see)

off to google geranium Anne Folkard...

WW- G.psilostemon is similar in colour but bigger. I used that too when I couldn't get A. Folkard. Think Salino's is maybe sanguineum.

07/06/2013 at 09:58

I like purples, blues and whites and some yellows mainly but saying that I'm still in the stage of growing lots of different plants, generally if it flowers I'm happy. The result is that the garden is full of different colours but for me it works.

I know what you mean fidget about the sweet rocket, it's been a good year for them

07/06/2013 at 10:09

It's beautiful FG!

Similar to my Dragon's Heart geranium that is currently scrambling over everything it can

First year of hardy geranium experience for me and it's been a revelation. Bye bye pelargoniums!

07/06/2013 at 10:14

hi WW,... I'm pleased you like it... It's a little Geranium cinereum 'subcaulescens' to be precise... suitable for alpine beds... I think it's best planted in a group of 3 for better impact, as they're quite small growing.....sharp drainage is a must with these...

...is red and white Tottenham or Arsenal...? I never can remember... I hope one of them is not a dirty word for you...

I wonder if you might also like this one, as you mentioned 'Psilostemon'... this is Geranium 'Patricia' which is similar to that one but has a longer flowering season... it's an upright grower with lush foliage... here planted next to a rose called 'Blush Noisette'.. I hope you like it...

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/24974.jpg?width=273&height=350&mode=max

07/06/2013 at 10:39

Jess I like geraniums too but I'm fussy about colours as I don't really like blue- unless it's a purply blue! Not keen on pelargoniums unless white or dark...I know, I know - what am I like!!!!!  but a row of bright reds in matching terracotta pots on a line of steps or a terrace can look stunning especially if you like a Mediterranean look. They're very useful in conservatories as they'll take the heat. I used them when selling last house as I didn't want to spend a lot on plants ( conservatory was big) so they were great for that.

07/06/2013 at 10:57

Salino. I am a bit embarrased now as I bought 3 "sub...thingys" at the recent "Rocky Plant Show" in Wimborne... a big alpine event locally. I chose it for the colour and they now sit in the front of a border which has rubbish soil, sharp drainage and lots of sun. I may do a proper alpine bed later/next year as they are my new interest. Pat looks V G too, shall look out for it.

Red is Arsenal. I have been a lifelong Southampton supporter which is always a challenge. You have to support the team your father took you to first. You are not allowed to support some other team e.g. Arsenal or Man U just because they win all the time 

07/06/2013 at 11:31

..oh I see...Southampton.. that must cost a lot in travel expenses...best of luck to them in any case...

..''rubbish soil, sharp drainage and lots of sun''... sounds just like mine... just as well some plants like that sort of thing...

07/06/2013 at 14:23

WW very true.

But when they finally make the premier league, you'll be extra chuffed.

I know what you mean FG - pelargoniums just do look best in the Med, where they grow best too. 

I adore blue hardy geraniums like Brookside (more purply) and Rozanne (almost dark purple blue) and couldnt live without them now

You all have such beautiful plants - I'd love to see more colour plant pics!

41 to 60 of 69 messages