Forum home Garden design
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

containers

In mid June I am helping my cousin in Valais, the warmest part of Switzerland  she has new second floor apt with sunny terrace. there are 5 stone containers built on top of the terrace wall. appx 4ft by 12/18 ins.

It`s hot in summer and cold in winter.

can you suggest what to put there for all year round colour and easy maintenance.

Thanks

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

Look at what the neighbours have planted as they'll know what grows.   Most seem to have pelargoniums for summer but you'll need something else for winter and they'll have to cope with deep cold and snow so consult and buy local.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • hogweedhogweed Posts: 4,053

Perhaps something like lavender depending on how harsh the winter is. A pot planted up with herbs could be a good idea even if they have to be treated like annuals.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

A lot also depends on height.  If she's down in the valleys and in a town such as Sion it will get to about -20 at its coldest.  Up the mountain in the skiing villages it'll get to more like -25C or colder and I can't think of anything that will survive having its roots frozen in a pot at those temps, let alone look good through winter.  

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato