London (change)
Today 28°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 26°C / 17°C
9 messages
11/06/2012 at 17:10

Hi,

I'm looking for a plant that I can use to climb up a large drain pipe, 10cm diameter and then round off onto a a piece of trellis work above my kitchen window. Its on a sw facing wall with little shade. It would need to be very happy to be "messed about with" so that it does not obscure the window, and trainable to get it to go the way I want it to!!

Any ideas? Oh and it has to live in a pot too, eek!

Thanks

11/06/2012 at 17:14

A grapevine?

Attractive and bountiful once established and good at being baked on a SW wall.

11/06/2012 at 17:24

Would be brill but already have two over my swinging seat and wanted something I don't already have, if there is anything

11/06/2012 at 21:54

clematis alpina goes mad with me Ive got it growing over my oil tank its gong mad. My wee terrier has damaged it so many times trying to catch birds (thankfully unsuccessfully) and it grows from the bottom again. Its in full sun on the oil tank but equally happy growing up an archway in shade

12/06/2012 at 02:56

Sollya heterophylla likes sun and only goes about 10ft. Well mannered twiner, so likes a drainpipe. Evergreen too, which may be a bonus. Jasmine's much the same sort of size if grown in a pot and shouldn't mind baking. Might get a waft in your window too!

12/06/2012 at 06:45

I thought Sollya heterophylla is frost tender ?- RHS site says it needs a heated greenhouse in the winter 

12/06/2012 at 10:59

Yeah, should've said, officially its half hardy - didn't assume that meant it was not wanted, being in a pot. Depending on where you live, you could leave it out and just insulate the pot a bit, or may not even need that if pot large enough. You'd probably lose some foliage, but its fast to come back in my experience - certainly not the equivalent of using an annual climber. I'm in North Yorkshire (though not in the wilds) and only brought in during that really horrendous cold fornight where it barely got above -20... Lost loads of stuff, mind you - not much in an unprotected pot would've survived that, to be fair. There's always the jasmine...!

12/06/2012 at 13:04
The clematis sounds like a good one, but think jasmine and sollya a might be a touch on the short side. Thanks for tips.
Does anyone know how easy a wisteria would be to grow and look after? A friend has just recommended it?
12/06/2012 at 17:49

When you first mentioned drainpipes I was going to say "anything BUT wisteria". I've just had to remove a beautiful wisteria floribunda from under MY kitchen window because it kept legging it up the drainpipe right to roof level and awa,y and was forever coming in the windows! 30ft + didn't sound that much on the label all those years ago, but it really is. Wisteria sinensis is even bigger, maxing out at 100ft. To get flowers you need to prune wisteria quite carefully twice a year, so it isn't low maintenance. If you don't prune it well and keep tying it in for a few years until the woody framework forms you end up with a huge green hummock without much to recommend it. That said, if you're up for the effort, they're spectacular.

What about trachelospermum jasminoides? Looks a lot like jasmine, smells lush, is evergreen, frost hardy, and is a fair bit bigger ultimately than jasmine or sollya at about 25 feet max. Pretty seed pods after the summer flowers extend the season of interest. Wonder if you could pair it up with an early clematis for the best of both worlds...

email image
9 messages