London (change)
Today 9°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 10°C
15 messages
17/05/2012 at 16:35

Hi all

I dont know what to about the crazy paving in my new country cottage garden - any ideas on what I can do about it?

Can I lay stone slabs on top of it?

Shall i dig it out and lay lawn over?

Lay gravel over it?

Any good economical ideas from any of you out there?

Thanks so much

Annie

17/05/2012 at 17:20

I suppose a lot depends on how you want your garden to work. For example, is the crazy paving giving you a patio area where you can sit out, and maybe have a few pots planted up? Would you rather the area was turned into lawn, or borders for plants? How much of your garden is covered with the offending material?

21/05/2012 at 18:15

you see.. i think that is what makes a cottage garden.. or gravel with flat slabs in it.. i am at this point in my garden.. the paths.. what to have do not want something bright and bold..but soft and subtle.. i think Annie Glyn..that you have to sit and think what it is you do want.. what works for the space and how it is used.. i have been thinking of mine now for 3 months and have narrowed it down to two.. gravel with slabs stepping stones in or cobble looks stones.. still cant decide.

21/05/2012 at 18:44
I have old cobble in part of my garden, but it is a challenge to stop the grass growing in the cracks. A challenge which I fail to meet...
21/05/2012 at 18:51

@figrat.. right.. never gave that a thought.. but it does look nice thou

21/05/2012 at 18:57
When you can see them!
21/05/2012 at 19:25

Hi Annie - don't think it would be a good idea to lay gravel over the top - it wouldn't settle/bed in - & thus be rather "skiddy" -  therefore a bit dangerous.  I think Gardeningfantic's got the best idea - gravel with some "stepping stones", but you'd need to make some sort of edging to keep the gravel in place - i.e. along the edges of the path. Probably best to try to lay some sort of membrane under the gravel too, as this would help stop weeds growing through.  You'd have to work out what depth of gravel you'd need to make it level with the paving you put in place.  Whatever you decide, I don't think there's a quick fix, unfortunately!  As far as the gravel goes, I always think it looks best if the gravel colour is compatible with the local earth colours.  For instance, the ploughed fields round here have a distinct pinkish look about them, and the local standstone is pink in colour.  Golden gravel seems to jar, in my opinion, so I prefer the look of the pinkish-grey stuff.  This would look all wrong in a garden in the Cotswolds, however, and probably in other parts of the country too!  Good luck with whatever you decide.

11/06/2012 at 10:51

Thank you all for the help!

And good point about the 'Skiddiness' of the gravek on top of the concrete.

I will keep thinking about the best option!

A

11/06/2012 at 21:23

Hi Annie,

Could you lift random slabs and fill with plants have different sized pots,old tin bath,whisky barrels etc giving all different heights and a seating area. Just think no grass to cut. You could soften round the pots with random stones of all sizes and soften with gravel edges. I agree with the "skiddiness" of the gravel as a path.

12/06/2012 at 02:47

Cheapest easiest option would be some sort of aggregate - stone chips are less skiddy than gravel cos they're not smooth so don't slide - hence good on driveways. Also less likely to fall off the edge. Then some nice rough real stone slabs here and there. I wouldn't think you'd need membrane unless the paving is already very badly damaged and weedy. Have to say, I'm not a crazy paving fan, but my mum has loads in her garden. Its been done really well, though, so she couldn't justify ripping it out.  A builder friend suggested edging it with properly mortared in driveway setts in a slightly darker grey-brown - which she did - and its amazing what a difference that little border made. Its actually nice now! Never thought I'd EVER say that. Didn't cost her much either.

12/06/2012 at 21:43

Why don't you make a feature of it?  You could see if they do tester-sizes of masonry paint and paint each stone a different colour, and make a mosaic-type feature, this will not cost too much until you can afford to do something more permanent.  Failing that, rip it up, bribe anyone you know with a big trailer to go to a builder's merchant's and buy gravel by the hundredweight.  When we covered our front in limestone chippings, my husband did this (for various reasons we've got a massive ex-RAF missile trailer).  The chap knows the scoop on his mini-digger holds 250kg, so 2 of these is half a ton.  Well, the chap put two scoops in, looked at the pitiful amount in the trailer, (it didn't cover the floor), and put two more scoops in.  My husband had paid for half a ton, and ended up with a ton of the stuff!

26/07/2014 at 19:42

Hi, crazy paving is coming back into fashion so keep it, why don't you get a hand fork and remove some of the concrete between slabs and plant rock plants and all types of lavender they will love it the poorer the condition the better also heathers and Daisy's. Get a half barrel line it will pond liner use rope to cover stapled edges of liner. Fill with water and pond plants, pond Lilly it will clear in a month and on your paving will be another feature, add a seat and you have a tranquil area to chill.

26/07/2014 at 20:33

take it and re- place with grass which looks nice and is life and not as cold and dead like gravel which is over taking this country and only ends up looking horrid and weedy and is not the answer to being lazy!dont follow the craze,some small ,very small gardens it  suits  but that is all.

Lyn
26/07/2014 at 23:40

I would like it if Annie would come back and show us what she has done, she posted inMay 2012, she must have decided by now. Come back Annie.

27/07/2014 at 09:51

I like crazy paving.  Looks good, informal or formal, stops weeds, easy to walk on, etc.   it may not be the fashion currently but it will be again, make my words. 

email image
15 messages