Start a new thread

1 to 14 of 14 replies

archiepem

evening all . anyone ever made  a decking floor from pallets , daughter has  a new home, and wants me to have  a go  at this . first of a long list 

marshmello

Decking floor ? is this inside or out.

artjak

If it is outside, I would have thought that you would need pressure treated timber or it will rot quickly.

archiepem

outside . thanks  artjak . . not sure where she got the idea of pallets .

marshmello

I've used them in the past but they only last a couple of years even when treated, then they start to crumble. A waste of time and enery unless it's for allotment purposes, which mine is. Nah, buy the good stuff...leave it a few more weeks and it'll be in the sales.

Advertisement

archiepem

shes  renting . for a few years ... erm

Atilla

You can do it - but make sure to hire a sander to get rid of splinters and to make it looks more attractive. I did it and it worked a treat. When it started to show signs of wear I sanded them down again, treated and coved with decking boards (so saved on timber).

archiepem

got a sander . grinder .etc . thanks blairs . the asda pricejob could be  on . beer anyone 

marshmello

If it's just a rented place, then yeh it might a good idea. The problem is finding good strong pallets, those can be a bit thin on the ground.

Atilla
Woodgreen wonderboy wrote (see)

If it rots it could be dangerous? Not just a visual thing.

All wood rots with time. Pallet wood tends to be very strong and heat treated.

marshmello
blairs wrote (see)
Woodgreen wonderboy wrote (see)

If it rots it could be dangerous? Not just a visual thing.

All wood rots with time. Pallet wood tends to be very strong and heat treated.

I beg to differ with regards to the strength of pallet wood - seen nothing but rubbish quality, lately.

Have made a good bit of garden things (raised vegetable beds etc) from pallets - but never thought of doing decking - but there defo is a variable when it comes to the quality of pallet wood - you'll need to go for the strongest type - here's a guy in America showing how he did it... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-hvB6J8RF0