London (change)
Today 25°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 17°C
6 messages
20/05/2013 at 16:33

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/23879.jpg?width=272&height=350&mode=max

Hello, I have a part of my garden which needs to be designed!

I have recently had a wood burning stove fitted which meant that the old chimney pot had to be removed. As it had been on the roof for 80 years I did not want it taken away do it will be an ornamental feature in my garden. I have placed it in partial shade (morning sun only) and intend to plant it with alpines so I have put in a 50/50 grit compost mix.

Now, please suggest how it should be planted and I wiplaster which suggestions I like the best. The opening is small, about 8", so there can't be too many plants and I expect one or more to trail as well and uprights.

Please make as many suggestions as you like, and include pictures of drawings or plants, and thank you for your contribution.

The pot it will go in is in the thread, hopefully the right proportions and the right way around!

20/05/2013 at 18:36

Really nice pot saltski, it's a lovely feature in its self. No nothing about alpines so can't help on that front

20/05/2013 at 21:54

Nice pot and in excellent condition, good idea to use it as a feature I did the same with mine when the chimney's were capped, I have four, filled them full of compost to plant stuff in....but eventually the plants out grew the stacks and I got bored with where they were placed but couldn't move them due to the weight and even if they could be moved all the compost would have fallen out the bottom.    

You can get pots which fit snugly in the stacks and then plant any number of alpines in the pots so you can change the display if you get bored.

My stacks this year started off with pots of rosemary and small conifers over winter, followed by daffs and now tulips. I'm thinking outdoor toms for them next  and have pots with gladioli and lillies to put in them later in the summer.

Being empty of compost you can move the stack anywhere in the garden.    

20/05/2013 at 22:03

I agree with zoomer. I ring the changes with my chimney pots too by putting pots in them with a good lip as without they are difficult to get out again. Erigeron karvinskianus trails out of one of mine for most of the summer. Alpines often have a very short flowering period and  as the pot has a small diameter I would have a succession of plants in pots to ring the changes.

23/05/2013 at 08:21

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys. Zoomer & Daintiness, I take you point about the pots being placed inside, but I've already filled it with grit/compost mix for the alpines and want to go that way as it's a good location for them too. I hadn't intended to move it around the garden, until the garage behind it is demolished in a few years time, I want to be able to see it from the house too.

Any more suggestions on plants?

19/06/2013 at 20:07

Well here is the planted pot, I really like it, going to plant lobelia around the base. Went for aqualegia vulgaris and phlox.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/25834.jpg?width=272&height=350&mode=max

email image
6 messages